Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you heard of a doula?

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 6:10 PM
  • 28 Replies

After next weekends workshop I will be officially accepting clients to complete my birth and postpartum doula certifications.  I feel having a website is extremely important and am needing to add content to it.  I know many will copy/paste from other sites, but I want mine to be unique.  So, regardless of if you would use one or not...

What questions would YOU have about doulas?  

Have you ever heard of one?

What are some things you've heard about doulas?

If you haven't heard of one, what do you think they are? 

Wife, Mother of 3, Photographer, Student Birth & Postpartum Doula, Birth Advocate

by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 6:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
1busymommy
by New Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 6:16 PM

What could you offer me that my OB cannot?

I have heard of a doula before, one of my really good friends is trying to become a doula

I have heard that they help you get the care you need, and really want to know what is best for you, as I know first hand OBs do not care about your personal preference.  They only care about what they get paid, and what is convenient for them.  I know they want to be there for you to help you get through this, and to make sure you are getting what you want.

NoraDun
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I had a Doula my last pregnancy and am hiring her again this pregnancy!! My Doula charged $500. And she allowed me to make payments. She was AMAZING!!!! I mean she went over and beyond expectations! She was on call for me 24/7 with any questions. When I had contractions she started me on natural remedies to stop them!! She also gave me natural remedies to prevent StrepB and a wash to use! She was my go to instead of my OB who was way to hands on!! When I went into labor I called her and she showed IMMEDIATELY! Good thing because she ended up delivering my baby girl at hom after just an hour and 58 min labor! It was beautiful! And my goodness did she know what she was doing!! This time I have a homebirthing Midwife, but am spending the extra money on her again because she was so awesome, soothing, etc! We were supposed to start our meetings lastw week and didn't because I had to reschedule! We meet for the first time next week hopefully! And I can't wait! Because of her I too plan on becoming a Doula one day and then eventually a Midwife! Although it wont be until my children are grown as it is too demanding for us right now!

LoveOfWisdom
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Did you plan on a home birth?  Or did things just take a turn quickly?  I think it's great you are hiring her again, a doula and a midwife play very different rolls!

Quoting NoraDun:

I had a Doula my last pregnancy and am hiring her again this pregnancy!! My Doula charged $500. And she allowed me to make payments. She was AMAZING!!!! I mean she went over and beyond expectations! She was on call for me 24/7 with any questions. When I had contractions she started me on natural remedies to stop them!! She also gave me natural remedies to prevent StrepB and a wash to use! She was my go to instead of my OB who was way to hands on!! When I went into labor I called her and she showed IMMEDIATELY! Good thing because she ended up delivering my baby girl at hom after just an hour and 58 min labor! It was beautiful! And my goodness did she know what she was doing!! This time I have a homebirthing Midwife, but am spending the extra money on her again because she was so awesome, soothing, etc! We were supposed to start our meetings lastw week and didn't because I had to reschedule! We meet for the first time next week hopefully! And I can't wait!

Wife, Mother of 3, Photographer, Student Birth & Postpartum Doula, Birth Advocate

NoraDun
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 6:38 PM

We did not. She was meant to be more of my advocate. I only had two options for midwives in my area at the time. The main one (which I have now) was due to be on vacation the week I was due and was scared to take me on. The other was scared due to my history and the fact she was about 2 hrs away. So I had to go with a OB (or so I thought at the time) and my Doula was meant to be their to advocate for me considering my past two hospital births were so awful! But lucky me I woke up in labor at 6:30, called the Doula and my Hubby at 6:50 both arrived shortly after 7:00 and I delivered at 7:22am. Lucky me she has plenty of experience delivering from #1 arriving just in time to deliveries and prior to Midwife, and #2 because she has gone through the Midwife training but hasn't taken the Midwife test yet!

Here a Doula is a birth advocate. Meant to help Mother through labor and delivery and nursing! But not intended to actually deliver!

Quoting LoveOfWisdom:

Did you plan on a home birth?  Or did things just take a turn quickly?  I think it's great you are hiring her again, a doula and a midwife play very different rolls!

Quoting NoraDun:

I had a Doula my last pregnancy and am hiring her again this pregnancy!! My Doula charged $500. And she allowed me to make payments. She was AMAZING!!!! I mean she went over and beyond expectations! She was on call for me 24/7 with any questions. When I had contractions she started me on natural remedies to stop them!! She also gave me natural remedies to prevent StrepB and a wash to use! She was my go to instead of my OB who was way to hands on!! When I went into labor I called her and she showed IMMEDIATELY! Good thing because she ended up delivering my baby girl at hom after just an hour and 58 min labor! It was beautiful! And my goodness did she know what she was doing!! This time I have a homebirthing Midwife, but am spending the extra money on her again because she was so awesome, soothing, etc! We were supposed to start our meetings lastw week and didn't because I had to reschedule! We meet for the first time next week hopefully! And I can't wait!

LoveOfWisdom
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Ah ok :)  A doula is never intended to do exams or deliver, although many are not becoming certifited so they can do basic exams and have a bit more freedom.  SOME take it a bit too far IMO (not yours).

Quoting NoraDun:

We did not. She was meant to be more of my advocate. I only had two options for midwives in my area at the time. The main one (which I have now) was due to be on vacation the week I was due and was scared to take me on. The other was scared due to my history and the fact she was about 2 hrs away. So I had to go with a OB (or so I thought at the time) and my Doula was meant to be their to advocate for me considering my past two hospital births were so awful! But lucky me I woke up in labor at 6:30, called the Doula and my Hubby at 6:50 both arrived shortly after 7:00 and I delivered at 7:22am. Lucky me she has plenty of experience delivering from #1 arriving just in time to deliveries and prior to Midwife, and #2 because she has gone through the Midwife training but hasn't taken the Midwife test yet!

Here a Doula is a birth advocate. Meant to help Mother through labor and delivery and nursing! But not intended to actually deliver!

Quoting LoveOfWisdom:

Quoting NoraDun:

brittany208
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 6:46 PM

You should make sure you list the advantages of having one and maybe some personal testimonies of people who couldn't have done it without their doula there (ideally, they would be talking about you, but i know you are just starting out).

i know what a doula is, but I never wanted one. They aregreat for some women, but I waned my DH right beside me and everyone else to leave me alone.

LoveOfWisdom
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Did you know a doula can be very hands off and aid only dad?  Helping to relay information or showing him different techniques, getting items needed for him or you so that he doesn't have to leave, etc.

Quoting brittany208:

You should make sure you list the advantages of having one and maybe some personal testimonies of people who couldn't have done it without their doula there (ideally, they would be talking about you, but i know you are just starting out).

i know what a doula is, but I never wanted one. They aregreat for some women, but I waned my DH right beside me and everyone else to leave me alone.

NoraDun
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 6:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Mine generally donesnt do vaginal checks, although has for certain situations and patients. She does know how. She did check me about a week prior to delivery. I was having pretty bad contractions, it was a weekend, and I thought labor might of been starting! After an hour she came over and checked me to see if I had progressed. I had not, so she helped me get contractions stopped and she went home!! I LOVE her and the fact she is laid back and can do what needs to get done. I am over an hour from the hospital and OB both of which I have lost complete respect of. So she was perfect for me! And had we not been able to get a Midwife this time around we would of had an unassisted birth with her!

Quoting LoveOfWisdom:

Ah ok :)  A doula is never intended to do exams or deliver, although many are not becoming certifited so they can do basic exams and have a bit more freedom.  SOME take it a bit too far IMO (not yours).

Quoting NoraDun:

Quoting LoveOfWisdom:

Quoting NoraDun:

sj3starz
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this
My midwife is also a doula, she trains doulas and midwives as well. She basically supervised her team while they took care of me in labor. The student midwife was great, but my doula was awesome! She did a majority of pressure points with dh and would get the peppermint when I felt nauseous. She reminded me of intaking water and food to keep me hydrated and energized. It was awesome.
On a website, I'd personally like to know if you do in and out of hospital births, stats of yours (clients, satisfaction rates if you do surveys, client c-section or epi rates)
brittany208
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 6:55 PM

yeah, but if they are very hands-off, then it seems kind oi pointless for them to be there... to pay them to not do much. not trying to offend at all. i just didnt need one. DH was there to advocate for me, the dr was okay with everything i wanted, the nurses were there to get me anything i needed.

Quoting LoveOfWisdom:

Did you know a doula can be very hands off and aid only dad?  Helping to relay information or showing him different techniques, getting items needed for him or you so that he doesn't have to leave, etc.

Quoting brittany208:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured