Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for first time mom's

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:50 AM
  • 12 Replies
3 moms liked this

I though I would create a post for experienced Mom's to give some advice on pregnancy/labor/delivery/and raising a child. I know there was some things I wish someone had told me with my first.

Here are a few I've thought of.

1) I took child birthing classes, but afterbirth was NEVER brought up. I was not prepared for it when it happened. After having the baby, you have to push again to get the placenta out. Then a nurse pushes on your stomach to get everything out.

2) People will come to visit you when you are still in the delivery room, if you don't want anyone to see the bloody mess that looks more like a murder took place.... Inform the staff to not allow company until you are put into your room. (My sister came, and brought some guy I had never met... I wasn't pleased.)

3) If you plan on breast feeding, you will be forced to stick with it in the hospital. And DON'T judge me, I tried and couldn't produce. Nothing would come out, not even with the pump.

4) Bottle warmers are a must. You should never warm the baby bottle in the microwave. Bottle warmers are quick, and you can keep them right in the baby's room. They are wonderful if you choose (or have to) formula feed.

5) Lastly, Kids are wonderful. Take your time and enjoy all the stages.... It feels like you blink, and they are starting school.  

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this
  • Don't be tempted to buy newborn shoes! When I had my Dd 4 years ago, I looked at all the tiny little shoes and bought a ton. She didn't wear a single pair! Stock up on thick socks instead :) 
  •  Breastmilk is great for everything. Ear infections, goopy stuff in their eyes, cradle cap, chapped skin etc. It works wonders. 
  •  Wash ALL their clothes before they wear them, even if they're bought brand new. I wish somebody told me that when I had Dd. Instead I just put the clothes right on her and she broke out in a rash :( 
  •  Hope that helps some of you new Mommies out there :)
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Other mom's (and even people without children) can quick to judge. They don't even need a real reason, they think they can look at you and know you are an "awful parent" 

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Bring a couple different sets of clothes for baby. Not just 24 hours worth. I did that and had to stay 4 day after baby was born.
Two words: breast pads. Even if you do not plan to breast feed, you'll need them. At least most women will.
Make sure you have some food from home or someone who can go get you and your birth team food. Never once was my husband offered food and there was one time I was brought food that was so gross, I wouldn't even feed it to my dog.
If you do want to breast feed, ask for the lactation consultant right after you give birth.
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Don't forget to take time for yourself and you SO. You're going to need a few hours to feel like a grown up.
Do what feels right to you, go with your gut instincts.
Enjoy every second you have with your kids because they grow fast. I can't believe 6 months g=has gone by already and wish I could slow down time.
CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Everyone and their grandmother will have advice and opinions about absolutely everything you do, don't do, won't do, could do, and everything in between. Take it all with a grain of salt. A really big grain. Maybe a heap of salt. You know what, just ignore it altogether. Do what works for you, what you know is right for your baby and family. Everyone else had or has their chance with their own families, and now it's your turn.

Although I will say this: If it feels wrong to you, it is. Doesn't matter what it is. Listen to your instincts, don't fight them.

by Amber on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:31 PM
2 moms liked this

If it's a boy, make sure his penis is pointed down when you put the diaper on. Not to the side, not up, not at a funky angle. DOWN.

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Very helpful! I'm 39w + 1d with my first and due any day now so any advice is much needed.

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Thank you for all of the information. This is my first pregnancy; I have 37 days left. I have taken labor/baby care classes and not all of this information was talked about.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Advice from my mom i was so glad i used! Don't feel like you need to have your baby in the room with you all the time! The nurses will not Judge you. I had my daughter stay in the nursery overnight so that I got a full nights sleep every night I was there. I would have them take her around 10pm and ring for the nurse to bring her back to me whenever I wanted the next morning (I usually made it to about 4am lol). But I got sleep when I really needed it. I was also breast feeding and the nurses gave her a bottle of formula in the night if she needed it and it nevered made her shy away from breast. I went home well rested. Take the help while you have it :))
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:44 PM

I know those newborn cloths and diapers look small, believe it or not, they will be a little big on your fresh bundle.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)