Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

10 Most Important Items in Your Hospital Maternity Bag

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:05 AM
  • 11 Replies
2 moms liked this

10 Most Important Items in Your Hospital Maternity Bag

by Jill Smokler

I found myself sitting next to an about-to-explode pregnant woman yesterday. I bit my tongue and resisted telling her just how insane her world was about to become and to go straight home to nap, because she wouldn't ever sleep well again. The poor woman looked so full of hope; the last thing I wanted to do was traumatize her.

Instead, I tried to offer some very practical advice: What I wish I'd brought to the hospital when I had each of my kids.Who knows if she actually took my advice to heart or not, but I certainly wish I'd been privy to such information back when I showed up with nothing but a change of clothes for myself and an outfit for baby. Here's an extended version of what I shared with her ...

1. Shampoo, conditioner, and body wash. The first shower you take after you give birth will be the best shower of your life and the hospital products suck.

2. A roll of good quality toilet paper or wipes. That first pee after giving birth is brutal. Hospital grade toilet paper feels like sandpaper and you don’t need that rubbing against your bruised lady parts. Trust me.

3. Makeup. I know, I know. You just pushed a human being out of your vagina -- who careshow you look in pictures with your newborn? You will. For the rest of your life.

4. Cellphone (obviously) but don’t forget the charger. Between taking pictures, tweeting, Facebooking, calling, texting, and emailing, you’ll blow through that battery in no time.

5. An extra bag. You’ll be sent home with diapers, wipes, formula, and more. It’s like a new mother’s Halloween! Make sure you can schlep all of your loot or you’ll be kicking yourself the next week at Babies R Us. That crap is expensive.

6. Preparation H. It will be your new best friend.

7. Food. You’re going to be starving and hospital food is revolting. Stock your fridge with all the stuff you haven’t been able to eat in nine months. And make sure to lock it from your husband. He’s eaten enough.

8. Extra strength maxi pads. The ones at the hospital haven’t changed in a century. Seriously, they practically have belts. A box of extra strength Always will be one of the best investments you make.

9. Maternity yoga pants. It’s total bullshit, but you will leave the hospital looking as pregnant as you went in. It’s tragic, but true.

10. A blindfold. For yourself. Girlfriend, you are going to look like hell. Best not to see it.

Image via Scary Mommy

by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oliver92
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:20 AM

amen on the pads, I went in for emerg c section and holy crap the bleeding was ridiculous. soft yoga pants or something not on the stomach is great. I would say I MUST MUST have a good sports bra and tank top, trying to ebf and having the whole world want to help, sore boobies and those gowns suck on the nipples...........THANKS!!

kgmmw
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Yep I'll bring lost of those
Heather2001
by Heather on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:57 AM

LMAO at the blindfold!  Honestly, I didn't need most of that stuff.  I left the hospital ASAP and took a shower at home, so no need for #1.  I never put makeup on, never had hemorrhoids, only blotted with toilet paper so didn't care.  All I needed was my phone and charger, a few Depends (better than pads, by far), a skirt/dress to wear home, and an outfit for baby.  If I have another baby, it'll be a homebirth.

NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:21 AM

1. Shampoo, conditioner, and body wash. I will be in the comfort of my own home, in the comfort of my own shower!

2. A roll of good quality toilet paper or wipes. Again comfort of my own toilet, with my own paper.

3. Makeup. Umm no, that is just rediculous! 

4. Cellphone (obviously) but don’t forget the charger. Gonna say it again, comfort of my own home. No worries

5. An extra bag. I don't need hand outs will already have my own (and my Hospital didn't hand it out like that)

6. Preparation H. Baby #4 and never had a hemrroid after birth! So never used nor needed the stuff!

7. Food. Hehe comfort of own home :). But when I did deliver at the hospital I LOVED the food, they had special food for the maternity ward!

8. Extra strength maxi pads. I actually am purchasing with my birthing kit those exact hopsital pads. When your bleeding the way you do post birth it doesn't matter if their is a belt if it saves you from a gigantic mess. The little store bought maxi pads dont do crap!

9. Maternity yoga pants.  I actually go back to being flat stomached post baby! Hubby was shocked the first time he saw a women leave the hospital still having a massave belly! I fit into post pregnancy stuff immediately! But being at home I will probably stick to night gowns or sweat pants just because they are comfy to cozy up with the baby on the bed with!

10. A blindfold. And I only looked like hell in the hospital! My home delivery I could of ran a marathon I felt great, looked absolutely normal, and was at VBS the following day! It all depends on your mindset and experience. Birth can be horrible, or beautiful. Its all in what you make it!

To_the_moon
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Lol this made me flash back to when I had Keira. All this will be in my bag when this little one is born as well esp the food, pads and preparation H.
CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
CelestialSong
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I think a lot of these are going to depend on the hospital... mine had super soft toilet paper, very soft pads, good food. The rest will depend on you. I didn't care about makeup (even 2 years later I don't care that I wasn't wearing makeup - I just had a baby, I wasn't entering a fashion show, and personally I kind of hate after-birth pictures where the mom looks like she caked her face with paint, but that's just me). Never needed Preparation H or an extra bag.

Also, I'd recommend a comfortable stretchy-waisted skirt over yoga pants, just in case you're a bit of a mess down there. I was soooo glad I had a skirt to wear home! The thought of a pants crotch rubbing down there still makes me cringe.

Definitely bring your phone though. And a good camera if you have one better than your phone camera.

LoveOfWisdom
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:02 PM
1. Shampoo, conditioner, and body wash. Yes!

2. A roll of good quality toilet paper or wipes. You pat, not wipe and use the peribottle!!

3. Makeup. I know, I know. I did, I wear minimal makeup, but it was nice.

4. Cellphone (obviously) but don’t forget the charger. I'm a photographer and only took a few pics and answered the phone a few times. It was nice to get rest.

5. An extra bag. Take what is given, don't steal!!

6. Preparation H. For??

7. Food. What fridge? Just have family bring stuff.

8. Extra strength maxi pads. They have you use the "large" ones for the first 6-12 hrs depending on bleeding, then they give you regular pads.

9. Maternity yoga pants. I wore my maternity jeans, a cute top and hubby and I went to lunch.
ImNotKarl
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:11 PM

I don't need most of that stuff. I use a free-standing birth center, and go home about 4 hours or so after the birth. I shower at home, have food brought in by guests who pick it up on the way, and my birth center has AWESOME pads and toilet paper. Their whole thing is making the experience comfortable and cozy. They also give out gift bags with products, so an extra bag isn't needed. I don't bother with make-up, since I'm not really there long enough to bother. 

This is my second birth, and I'm packing WAY less than the first time. The contents of my bag:

Comfy outfits for myself and baby to go home in.

A couple snacks and Gatorade.

Some baby blankets.

Hair brush and hair ties.

Tylenol.

Laptop and charger.

Newborn diapers and a pack of wipes.

That's it. That's the whole list. I keep my wallet handy with my ID and debit card, so I can toss it in the bag, as well.

DACIA79
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:12 PM
I'm taking Dermaplast for stitches, Maxi pads, my tablet, body wash , robe, and a heating pad and delivery menus. Jimmy Johns is up the street from the hospital and of course all the obvious stuff clothes, carseat. etc...
Autumn19
by Ruby Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:24 PM

1. Shampoo, conditioner, and body wash. The first shower you take after you give birth will be the best shower of your life and the hospital products suck.

yes because i like the stuff i use.

2. A roll of good quality toilet paper or wipes. That first pee after giving birth is brutal. Hospital grade toilet paper feels like sandpaper and you don’t need that rubbing against your bruised lady parts. Trust me.

Really? no it worked just fine

3. Makeup. I know, I know. You just pushed a human being out of your vagina -- who careshow you look in pictures with your newborn? You will. For the rest of your life.

yes

4. Cellphone (obviously) but don’t forget the charger. Between taking pictures, tweeting, Facebooking, calling, texting, and emailing, you’ll blow through that battery in no time.

yes

5. An extra bag. You’ll be sent home with diapers, wipes, formula, and more. It’s like a new mother’s Halloween! Make sure you can schlep all of your loot or you’ll be kicking yourself the next week at Babies R Us. That crap is expensive.

really, babies R Us? i think not. and our hospital doesnt sent that stuff home. plus there is no need  for formula i bf.

6. Preparation H. It will be your new best friend.

I Dont get that one. whats it for?

7. Food. You’re going to be starving and hospital food is revolting. Stock your fridge with all the stuff you haven’t been able to eat in nine months. And make sure to lock it from your husband. He’s eaten enough.

Should have done that one.

8. Extra strength maxi pads. The ones at the hospital haven’t changed in a century. Seriously, they practically have belts. A box of extra strength Always will be one of the best investments you make.

Hospital ones were fine. plus i dont use them for long anyway

9. Maternity yoga pants. It’s total bullshit, but you will leave the hospital looking as pregnant as you went in. It’s tragic, but true.

Not true i wore my pre pregnancy skinny jeans out.

10. A blindfold. For yourself. Girlfriend, you are going to look like hell. Best not to see it.

Again? really? not true. maybe its because i had and easy birth with both of mine.

Image via Scary Mommy

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
href="http://lilypie.com/">Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)