Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why so many unrealistic expectations?

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:32 PM
  • 9 Replies

Why do women seem to have so many unrealistic expectations about the time of delivery?

I think its very important for women to understand that first of all a due date is an estimation, not concrete. Some women grow their babies faster and some slower. Delivering a baby anywhere between 38-42 wks should be considered normal but not a rule. But trying to self induce at 35,36,37 wks pregnant your increasing both your and your child's risks of complications, and even inducing at 38-42 wks carries many risks!

Here is some info, hopefully it will help pregnant mother's understand just how important allowing a baby to stay in utero to term actually is:

With each decreasing week of gestation below 39 to 40 weeks, there is an increased risk of complications like respiratory distress, jaundice, infection, low blood sugar, extra days in the hospital (including time in the neonatal intensive care unit), and even deaths of newborn babies and older infants.

Although tests may show that the baby’s lungs are well developed at, say, 37 weeks, research has demonstrated that the risk of newborn complications is still significantly higher than if delivery occurs two to three weeks later. In a study published last December of babies demonstrated to have mature lungs before birth, those delivered at 36 to 38 weeks had two and a half times the number of complications compared with those delivered at 39 to 40 weeks. Problems more common among babies delivered earlier in gestation included respiratory distress, jaundice and low blood sugar.

READ MORE HERE

Playing the waiting game during the last few weeks of pregnancy is hard, but it becomes especially difficult when 40 weeks turn into 41 . . . or 42. But the first thing to know is this: Your due date is just an estimate. In fact, only 5 percent of babies are born on theirs.

“No woman should feel nervous or anxious if she’s still pregnant after her due date,” says Alex C. Vidaeff, M.D., M.P.H., a maternal-fetal medicine researcher and practitioner at the University of Texas Medical School at Houston. “Due dates can be off by a week in either direction.” Sometimes, even two weeks! Despite that fact, many women get hung up on those dates and feel distress when they come and go, Vidaeff adds.

In the first trimester, your due date is calculated by adding 40 weeks (280 days) to the first day of your last menstrual period, then synched with ultrasound images that date the age of the embryo or fetus. But the result is just an educated “guesstimate.” “You might really be 39 weeks when you think you’re at 40,” says Vidaeff, adding that pregnancy length is, in many cases, genetically determined.

Your Baby is very important to you. Remember every week counts! Keep your baby inside until its time!

Near the end of your pregnancy you may be uncomfortable or anxious to see your baby. But remember -- you want to be sure you deliver a full term baby if possible.

How long is full term?

Pregnancy lasts for about 280 days or 40 weeks.

A preterm or premature baby is delivered before 37 weeks of your pregnancy.

• Extremely preterm infants are born 23 through 28 weeks.
  • Moderately preterm infants are born between 29 and 33 weeks.
  • Late preterm infants are born between 34 and 37 weeks.

Babies born before 39 weeks gestation have a greater chance of breathing problems, low blood sugar and other problems that may result in being admitted to a neonatal intensive care unit. So be patient!

What are the risks of a preterm birth?

Having a baby before your due date puts the baby at higher risk for many health problems.

Babies born before 39 weeks gestation can have problems. Choosing to have your baby by induction, or C-section may seem convenient, but it puts both you and your baby at risk for problems.

What are the problems with having a baby before my due date?

A baby's brain is the last major organ to develop during your pregnancy, so every day your baby stays inside your uterus is important for your baby! The part of the brain that the baby will use for thinking doubles in size during the last few weeks of your pregnancy. When you are 35 weeks pregnant, your baby's brain only weighs two-thirds of what it will weigh at 40 weeks.

Some of the health problems that preterm babies may have include:

• Problems breathing and keeping warm;
  • Feeding problems because they may have more trouble sucking and swallowing;
  • Newborn jaundice, which causes their skin and the white part of their eyes to look yellow;
  • A longer hospital stay after they are born or be in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit;
  • Are more often readmitted to the hospital with problems; and
  • A smaller and less developed brain when they are born.

Even if the baby does well when born, he or she may have more long-term health problems such as:

• Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD); and
  • As adults, they are more likely to get diabetes, high blood pressure or heart disease.

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MrsKaufold1990
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:34 PM
Im planning on asking for an induction date.

While yes, i know it can prevent risks.

I cant stand being pregnant anymore already, and im already having a lot of issues, and baby a is already bigger then b.
Xanbuttsmom
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:49 PM
I don't think any expectation is unrealistic. Anything can happen. Where I do think it's crazy to self induce at 35 weeks, by 40 (where I am) if your ready then you are ready. I don't agree with medical inductions unless completely necessary. However drinking some raspberry tea or walking up and down the stairs is just fine. May work, may not but it doesn't hurt to try.
NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:53 PM

I agree natural inductions are more sensible to try at 40 wks (especially considering they generally wont work unless baby is ready) as long as its nothing that will harm the baby. But its the stress I am considering. So many mothers are absolutely stressing over inducing at 36,37,38 wks pregnant. The stress alone can cause labor to stall. But why the expectations that one should delivery prior to their due date or even 42 wks? That is really I guess where my confusion, concern lies!

Quoting Xanbuttsmom:

I don't think any expectation is unrealistic. Anything can happen. Where I do think it's crazy to self induce at 35 weeks, by 40 (where I am) if your ready then you are ready. I don't agree with medical inductions unless completely necessary. However drinking some raspberry tea or walking up and down the stairs is just fine. May work, may not but it doesn't hurt to try.

Xanbuttsmom
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this
The thought of going to 42 weeks depresses me and actually sounds like a nightmare. For me, honestly, I have built myself up for an all natural labor this entire pregnancy. The time has come and I'm just ready to get it over with. I have EVERYTHING ready. The only thing I don't have is my bag packed so I have something to do while in early labor. Other than that everything is done. My kitchen is even stocked for the next to weeks. The anticipation is what's really getting to me. I'm literally going stir crazy lol. I'm trying to stay active and not think about how much I wish I would go into labor. It also doesn't help that I'm a control freak by nature and this is completely out of my control. I wouldn't say im stressed by it all but I am for sure frustrated.

Quoting NoraDun:

I agree natural inductions are more sensible to try at 40 wks (especially considering they generally wont work unless baby is ready) as long as its nothing that will harm the baby. But its the stress I am considering. So many mothers are absolutely stressing over inducing at 36,37,38 wks pregnant. The stress alone can cause labor to stall. But why the expectations that one should delivery prior to their due date or even 42 wks? That is really I guess where my confusion, concern lies!

Quoting Xanbuttsmom:

NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:08 PM

I think that is a completely normal feeling once you hit your duedate!! Very undertsanding!! I hope baby shows for you soon! Good Luck Hun!

Quoting Xanbuttsmom:

The thought of going to 42 weeks depresses me and actually sounds like a nightmare. For me, honestly, I have built myself up for an all natural labor this entire pregnancy. The time has come and I'm just ready to get it over with. I have EVERYTHING ready. The only thing I don't have is my bag packed so I have something to do while in early labor. Other than that everything is done. My kitchen is even stocked for the next to weeks. The anticipation is what's really getting to me. I'm literally going stir crazy lol. I'm trying to stay active and not think about how much I wish I would go into labor. It also doesn't help that I'm a control freak by nature and this is completely out of my control. I wouldn't say im stressed by it all but I am for sure frustrated.

Quoting NoraDun:

Quoting Xanbuttsmom:

Mommabearbergh
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I can understand why some people get hung up on the date because it means so many different things to different people. I pray dd2 comes on my due date because I have maternity leave and its unpaid but i have a good amount of days saved and people go work up till your due date. hahaha. I work forty five minutes from home, I do overnights and I am a residential counselor at a girls group with teenage girls and its a ten hour shift.So yeah going two weeks over for me is like please no plus I don't want to be induced. I was with dd1 and it was a horrible experience I never want to relive again. I would never try to induce early though especially using unsafe means. I know the reality instead of taking my little bundle of joy home we could end up in the nicu and I don't want to be there because I wanted to take unsafe measures. In the end they will come on their own time but I can see why some women act on that. I am not one of them though

livingforthem83
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:17 PM
I personally think it's fun to try natural induction methods after 38 weeks. But I also know that nothing will work unless your body is ready. I will start squats and walking at 37 weeks to attempt to start getting my body ready. I am hoping to go completely med free this pregnancy. Last pregnancy I was 39 weeks and doctor said that he wouldn't let me go past 41 weeks. I think I probably would have made it to 41 had I not taken primrose oil(lesson learned will never do that again).
LoveOfWisdom
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Some are just selfish

ImNotKarl
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:35 PM

I think it's kind of fun to try natural induction techniques like pineapple and walking and spicy food and sex, once you're term and get the clear from your primary medical caregiver. It helps pass the time, gets me more active than I might normally be, and I get to eat yummy stuff. I know when my body is ready, it will happen. Until then, as soon as my midwife gives me the all clear, I'm going to dance all over the house with my kiddo, eat way too much fresh pineapple, do as much laundry as possible so I have to go up and down the stairs a bunch, and act like my man is going into hybernation and I have to give him enough poon to get through the 6ish week winter. lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)