Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

going Natural? gone natural? get in here!

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:47 PM
  • 29 Replies
So let me start off saying this is not about the drugs. I don't want a debate about them or hear how bad they are.

I am on my 5th child...my previous 4 I had epis, the one for #3 didn't work and I got to feel everything. So besides having numb legs and being ordered to the bed I had all the feelings and sensations. I was very verbal and very annoyed during labor.
Now, I want to go natural with this one and I want to know what got you through your labor pains. What exercises, breathing methods, voodoo did you do that worked so well for you? What things did you do to make it go smoothly? Any regrets? There is a possibility of me needing pitocin, what can you do while getting it to help move things along? I want to know all your tips and tricks not only so I can try them but so as if anyone else wants to know its here for them.
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SimplyEnchanted
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:18 AM

I've had all five of mine natural. I just try to keep calm and I breath and envision the baby. I almost go into a sleep like trance. It's just how I deal with it but it isn't a technique I learned...it's just how I deal. Which makes me think that other moms may have success with hypnobirthing

kelly617
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:33 AM

My epi failed as well so I'm all for natural...cuz I had a reaction to the meds so I got to feel everything and also had a fever and tachycardia (rapid heart rate)

For me before I went into L&D I was in the bath...the water helped SO much..I didnt' even feel the contractions until I was out of the water so I'd say stay in the water as long as you can...before I got in the tub I walked around a lot and I think that helped to move labor along.
I also recommend drinking TONS of water towards the end of your pregnancy...being dehydrated can make labor pains more intense...and hopefully they'll let you continue to drink water while laboring

GOOD LUCK!!!

MrsHill12
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:40 AM
My first was natural and I plan the same for this one hopefully! I focused on myself I really stopped listening to anyone and kind of just went out if my body so to speak it hurt I'm not going to lie! But I just focused in slow breathing and I was very aware of my body and how it felt... For me I started to yell out/moan but the moment I did it I noticed my contractions hurt more!!!! I tell everyone this I truly believe if you try not to scream then it soooo helps!

Lay in bed and grunt and moan focus on your muscles in your belly they get harder slightly tight? Tho it barely noticeable it will increase when having a contraction! (This is my belief I never heard it proven) anyways I just focused in breathing relaxing and TRYING NOT to focus on anyone... Kept my mind very blank as much as I could anyways.

But seriously try being super relaxed then make a quiet but random noise/grunt or whatever and you can notice you neck may tighten and stuff...

Try bath if you want lots like it but with me it helped contractions but It was late and I was exhausted and wanted to sleep and every time I stood up I would have a big contraction and fall back into water.. You could try warm shower instead..

Before hospital I walked as much as I could and would lean over counters and things and rock back and forth...

I hope this helps at least a little.. This my second I'm 33 weeks and I'm getting nervous as of today I started getting panicky lol..
puglove19
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:45 AM
I've never gone natural, but I know a website called birthwithoutfear.com its all about women going through natural birth and their stories
polkaspots
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:48 AM
I would avoid the pitocin. It makes it more painful. They gave me pitocin without telling me last time and I thought I was going crazy because I went from dealing with it to screaming within about twenty minutes even though I had been fine for hours until that point.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bethbeth
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:50 AM

I sat on a birthing ball most the time rocking back and forth. made my hubby stand in front of me so I could grab onto his legs. i didn't do any special breathing.

GreenDotsOrange
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:55 AM
I would tell myself through each contraction that I was one more closer to seeig him and as the contraction was peaking I kept telling myself its almost over. My mom was there an after each contraction she would tell me what a good job I was doing and wipe the sweat off me with a cool cloth. It felt heavenly when she did that. Towards the end I found low moaning helped. It helped me to get the energy out and do something with the pain. When I was in the bed I would grab onto the side bars and pull them with each contraction.
rjmac88
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:01 AM
I've had 2 of mine naturally and planning another. My only regret is not having my first naturally.
Walking, water, staying home and comfy. Really just take labor on! It's not something happening to you. It is something you are doing! I found labor exciting. Oh yeah it hurt! And you bet transition hit and I begged for drugs and cried and screamed.
3kidz123
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:25 AM

I've had two epi's and two natural. (well one was induced but no pain meds) 

Honestly for me there is no game plan, I find that each birth is diffrent and diffrent things worked with each. With my son (my induced birth) everything happened so fast that I just kinda did what I had to...being on my hands and knees helped, I was very vocal and very annoying. lol

With my homebirth I was uncomfterble but not in pain till about 8cm and at that point I labored in the tub which got me threw till the birth. For the birth I let the baby come down with no pushing and I made moaning sounds with each contraction and just focused on the noice and not the pain.

This time I thought about hypnobirth but I'll probably go with the flo.

bygodsluv
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:36 AM
Try to stay calm..I find it easier if im not being touched ( not soothing when im in pain )try to focus on something in the room during contractions ..warm bath while in labor feels good..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured