Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

if its not one thing its another + cat question

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 6:12 PM
  • 24 Replies

it feels like my symptoms take turns, the only constant thing is my sore boobs. yesterday i had bad nausea / food aversion. today im starving but have a killer headache. took tylanol this morning, and just took it again cause headache came back. had to clean the apartment because its muggy out, making my cat box STINK (even though it gets cleaned every day). any cat owners out there with a hidden secret for not so smelly cat boxes. my cat is fixed but his urine still smells strong. =( trying to wing dinner, my first idea was shot down due to lack of ingredients, so meaty pasta / sauce it is. mini rant but yeah any cat owners with tips? i already use the baking soda powder in the cat box too but its not good enough (and im pretty sure he hasn't peed anywhere else.) and i just changed litter last week and has plenty in there. 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 6:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I've been there. I changed the litter weekly because I couldn't handle the smell. I had two cats during my first pregnancy. I used a bit less litter when I filled it and added during the week if it was necessary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Larsbug
by Laura on Jun. 18, 2013 at 6:16 PM

honestly it's probably not bad but because your sense of smell is hightened you smell it more... I have no tips. I make sure to have a ton of Scentsy paks on hand to put behind the littler box and that helps big time for me.

rwcw89
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 6:31 PM

haha i have a stick and refresh on the litter box itself. i just cleaned my floors hoping that scent will take over more. and have a candle lit lol. i still smell it! lmao its damp out so this doesn't help

Quoting Larsbug:

honestly it's probably not bad but because your sense of smell is hightened you smell it more... I have no tips. I make sure to have a ton of Scentsy paks on hand to put behind the littler box and that helps big time for me.

BabyFruit Ticker

marissabrookee
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this
you're not even supposed to change your cat litter when you're pregnant. can someone else do it for you?
rwcw89
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:55 PM

my bf does it but we try to rotate it since im home more than he is, i usually wear gloves  when i scoop or change litter, 

Quoting marissabrookee:

you're not even supposed to change your cat litter when you're pregnant. can someone else do it for you?

BabyFruit Ticker

emkirkley
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:10 PM

if you've had a cat a while it's probably not an issue anyway because you have immunities from the disease that is the issue anyway.

I find that adding less at the start and more during the week helps, do you use a clumping litter?

tidycats with glade/febreeze has a pleasant scent to it.  Does your box have a door and filter?

Quoting rwcw89:

my bf does it but we try to rotate it since im home more than he is, i usually wear gloves  when i scoop or change litter, 

Quoting marissabrookee:

rwcw89
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:18 PM

ive had cats both indoor born and outdoor since i was 5 and scooping poop since then lol this one we've had a year now, but like i said, ive had cats for yearssss lol 

im using arm and hammer super scoop (clumping litter) and yeah it has a door / filter and i use the extra litter powder. its mainly on hot / damp days you smell it worse. the candles have drowned it out ...i think lol i tried changing his litter once and it was a disaster (did it the wrong way and it was a drastic change) so i ended up going back to it. 

Quoting emkirkley:

if you've had a cat a while it's probably not an issue anyway because you have immunities from the disease that is the issue anyway.

I find that adding less at the start and more during the week helps, do you use a clumping litter?

tidycats with glade/febreeze has a pleasant scent to it.  Does your box have a door and filter?

Quoting rwcw89:

Quoting marissabrookee:

BabyFruit Ticker

LilliesValley
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:20 PM

You shouldn't be cleaning the litter box because of the listeria risk. Only other thing to do is to not only clean it daily but to change the litter more frequently. Baking soda never worked for us really either.

daydreamer86
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:25 PM
Baking soda. I use $1 cat litter from dollar general ( i love it ) and sprinkle baking soda on it. I change the litter 2 times a week. No smelly box or house
babyfish0511
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:28 PM

I have 4 cats this pregnancy. The litter box has to be cleaned daily or they run out of room to use the bathroom. I found the most awesome cat litter ever! It smells so good and seriously cuts down on the smell. I have never found cat litter so good and I have been using it for months and I am sticking with it. It's Fresh Step Extreme. I swear by it. Also, do you wear a mask when cleaning after your cats? It's best if you do since  a soiled cat litter box can cause certain birth defects. They're real cheap at Wal Mart. I would be super nauseated if it weren't for them :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN