Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Second hand baby gear

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 6:53 AM
  • 91 Replies

Would you or do you buy second hand baby gear? Is there anything you wouldn't buy second hand? Is buying second hand gear dangerous?

by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 6:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DACIA79
by Silver Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 6:59 AM
Im buying everything new and 99% online . I dont drive so Craigslist isnt a option anyway .I would have no trouble buying used clothes but only from the consignment store safer than craigslist and not far from where I live.
gmoen1977
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 6:59 AM
2 moms liked this

I already bought the crib changing table/dresser, pack n play and swing second hand.  I may have to buy the stroller I want new because i want a specific one because of traveling a lot but I am also considering new only for the carseat.  but ya I am cheap and I will save where I can.  Friends laughed at me when I said i would get what I needed minus the stroller carseat for under $200.  I did at 140 bucks.  so $60 left for clothing 

Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 7:01 AM
1 mom liked this
The only thing for babies I wouldn't buy is car seats. Everything else is fine really.
schultzal
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 7:04 AM
I see no issue with secondhand (bought or hand-me-downs), aside from car seats and mattresses. I bought both of those new.
nicole2884
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 7:13 AM
I wouldn't buy a
Used bottles breast pump. Car seat.
MButterfly
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 7:27 AM
Careful with some used cribs.. there were lots of recalls on those.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ProudMama1125
by Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Yes, I do buy 2nd hand baby gear. This time around, I refused to buy a used crib b/c every one that I found was still drop-down sided.

Lilypie - (FYw7)

"Even miracles take a little time..." ~ Fairy Godmother

notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this

I buy second hand stuff all the time. There are definitely things I wouldn't buy second hand though, mattresses, anything cloth that cannot be washed, ect.

I got my baby a Graco Sweetpeace in an elephant print I just LOVE for $80 off Craigslist, it is BRAND NEW! I was able to wash the seat cover and head rest and I wiped down the canopy. I would never have paid $180 for it new.

notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Oh yes and DEFINITELY used car seats. Never, ever!

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

The only thing for babies I wouldn't buy is car seats. Everything else is fine really.

MrsKaufold1990
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 8:23 AM
Never used car seat mattresses and breast pumps.

As long as i know people really well an know their that their clothes and items wont be dirty and stained then yes
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)