Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Is it seriously going to cost me????

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 3:03 AM
  • 8 Replies
To work after I have this baby??? I'm currently expecting number 2 later this year! As excited as we are, certain realities have sunk in. when our first son was born, we had an amazing in home daycare. she was my sons godfathers mom, but sadly, she has since passed. looking into the daycare centers, all of them are so astronomical, that its literally going to take my entire paycheck to have the newborn there, plus my son in the schools before and after program. my df and I are trying to see if we can scrape by the babys first year with me staying home. I'm trying to get back into the habit of couponing, but other then that, I'm really at a loss of what else I can do to make sure this is going to work out for us......

CafeMom Tickers

by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 3:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Jun. 22, 2013 at 3:18 AM

Could you just work part time while your oldest is in school? That way you would only have to pay for childcare for one. Or do daycare in your home.

Mittenmommie
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 7:20 AM
That's why I am staying home. The rates for daycare these days is crazy. I refuse to work just to pay for daycare.
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 7:48 AM
It's hard.

Childcare is super expensive!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anxiousschk
by Silver Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I was thinking about this last night.  How much do you make in a year?  Take home pay?  Are you saying you only make 18,000/yr?  

What are the daycares charging?  

My friend had her kid in a really expensive one for the area, they fed meals, did programs, etc.  It was around 1500/mo.  

Have you checked out in home daycares?  They usually run quite a bit less, you just have to do more research to find a good one.  

As for staying home,  have you two made a budget yet?  Look at your current expenses and see if you can do that on his salary alone.  If not, figure out what needs to be cut.  Can you switch to a cheaper cell plan?  (Some companies offer to buy out your Verizon/Sprint contract to switch).  Do you need to cut cable?  

Start hitting yardsales while you can to stock up on clothing for your two kids.  Toys as well.  Truly, you can make a great Christmas from yardsale finds.   

Cut out the entertainment budget/eating out budget.  

Check your library out.  Ours has new movies to rent for free.  When DD1 was little (toddler stage) they also had great programs for her and a trip there was as exciting as a trip to the store to "shop."  

Those are just some ideas to cut costs if you are staying at home.  Really examine the budget and see what you can cut and what your bottom line is to live on.  Can you do that on just one salary?  If so, go for it.  

Also, if you are trying for the first year, what about starting your own in home daycare?  Maybe just one kid, but if rates are so high where you are, that extra amount could really help.  Personally, I wouldn't start it until baby was 4-5 months old, but it could be a good cushion.  

MybabyKisses
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:17 AM
This is the reason I am a sahm. It would take my whole paycheck to out my kids in daycare. When we only had one in daycare I realized between the cost of daycare and my gas and wear and tear on vehicle I was not breaking even. Especially after I had used up all my sick pay bc my dd was constantly getting sick and I was having to take off work but still pay daycare. We decided it was best for me just to stay home.
rjmac88
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 10:08 AM
One of the reasons I don't work... Daycare fee alone was more than my check. Let alone the diapers (we cloth ... Daycares here don't allow it) the formula (bfing is hard for me even when I am there 24/7!!) the gas (the only 24 hour daycare (I worked swing shift and could not change it) was in the city over from us!!) it would have been like another 500-600 a month just for me to work!
mama_pink_tink
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:45 PM
Thanks for the responces ladies!! It's completely insane to think that my newborn alone will be 1500 a month, plus another 300 for my son to do before and after care (there are a lot of half days a month, so they have special things planed for those days) Not to mention if my milk supply does to me with this one what it did to me with my son (at 5 months, I had completely depleated and was not able to pump any, and no matter how long I nursed he was still hungry when he was done. all caused by work stress) not to mention diapering costs, gas to get to work for 2 cars.... i'd be paying to work.... When it comes to a budget, we are trying to re-do it. Things like cable are included in our rent, and its not something they drop. my phone bill however will drop in the next 4 months 40 bucks. (just in time for baby b's arrival) I also do some freelance photography which brings in a few extra bucks a month as well. I'm tryin to see about the possibility of babysitting for a couple friends of mine. With couponing, Im also doing a store check, to see where I can shop to get the best prices on items. I was trying to think of things today.... I see many benefits of staying home(aside from many obvious things like, being there for my kiddos and getting wayyyy more time with them) Financially, theres less excuses to stop at gas stations and fast food restaurants. With working, I find myself stopping frequently, you know the usual, I forgot lunch, I need a flavored beverage. OMG that looks tastey as i drive by... myself and df will save a lot on gas. with us living so close to school, I wont even use a tank a week, and I go threw at least 2 now. my df goes threw at least 1. There will be less chance to waste food, aka $. things like that.
5tyli5hLensT
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:48 PM
Ugh yea its crazy. We will be working around each others schedule so we wont have to do daycare. Its gonna be tight though
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN