Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Evening Primrose Oil????

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:51 AM
  • 14 Replies
Hello ladies, I was wondering if anyone has used evening primrose oil to help soften the cervix? I'm wondering how to use the capsules.....I've heard of some tubing the capsules around the vagina and some inserting the capsules or taking them orally starting at 37 weeks! I'd love to ear you experiences!! Thanks
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Jun. 22, 2013 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I usually start taking them orally at 36 weeks, vaginally (placed near the cervix) at 37 weeks. 

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Not here, but here is a bump

polkaspots
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 4:31 PM
What's the point of softening the cervix?
I'm not trying to be rude, I just don't understand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveOfWisdom
by Silver Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Your cervix softens, shortens (effacement) and dilates to deliver.  

Quoting polkaspots:

Wife, Mother of 3, Photographer, DONA Student Birth & Postpartum Doula, Birth Advocate

polkaspots
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 4:50 PM
Never mind. I looked it up. I'm not interested in induction methods.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 4:51 PM
That part I know, I didn't understand why somebody would take something to help that along. I was thinking maybe there are women with abnormally hard cervixes or something. I looked it up though.
Thank you

Quoting LoveOfWisdom:

Your cervix softens, shortens (effacement) and dilates to deliver.  

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Adrieana
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 6:19 PM

I had a cerclage stich around my cervix from week 23 until week 36. It created scar tissue around my cervix which can ruin my chance of VBAC. I was told evening primrose oil can help soften up the scare tissue and ill be able to have a VBAC and not have to have a c- section because of failure to dilate due to hard scare tissue.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:29 AM
bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NoraDun
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Never too EPO for induction, my cervix always softens really well on its own, sex helps as well!

-Mommy-2-Three-
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 3:36 AM

With my first two boys I didn't use anything, I started dialating around 34 wks with both, they were born at 37 & 36 wks & I was 2.5 & 4.5cm dialated & 50-60% effaced with them before labor actually started........

With my daughter I started dialating at 32 wks but far more slowly & I was dialating more then effacing so at 36 wks I started using them vaginally to help ripen my cervix more, I also knew she was very large & EPO used vaginally can greatly reduce the risks of tearing, I had never had stitches before & wanted to keep it that way Lol, I also wanted to avoid being induced.........well I did end up induced but I was 4.5cm & 75% effaced before induction & she was 10 lbs born in 2 pushes without a stitch so I love EPO Lol. I'll start around 36 wks again to avoid tearing again but not to dialate since i dont need help in that department Lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)