Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Shaking Belly During Pregnancy???

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:56 AM
  • 32 Replies

I am a first time mom, 24 weeks pregnant, and I'm worried about shaking my belly during pregnancy.  I sound incredibly stupid for even doring this but - I was laying on the sofa with my feet propped up, trying to feel the baby move.  I don't know what possessed me to do this, but after awhile and feeling no movement, I put my hands on either side of my belly and gently but vigorously/rapidly shook my belly up and down for a few seconds. 

Shaking my belly did not cause me any pain or discomfort at the time, although it did nothing to encourage the baby to move.  Later on, I started to worry  - could I have injured the baby or disrupted the placenta?

I'm OBGYN is out of town for the next few days, and I am in total agony about the harm that I might have caused.  Does anyone know anything about shaking your belly during pregnancy?

by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SHOE_DIVA
by Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't sorry. But if you want to feel baby move drink orange juice.
dflowers
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 9:08 AM
I've done this my past 3 pregnancy I'm sure I will do it with the 4 th. My babies came out fine. Just don't do it everyday lol.
LoveOfWisdom
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 9:25 AM
I probably wouldn't vigorously shake it :/ like SHOE_DIVA said, just drink some oj.
NewbieMom2013
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I know, this was not my brightest moment.  I didn't think it would be that big of a deal to shake my belly, and it was not like What to Expect or any other baby book said "don't shake your belly."  But then it occurred to me that maybe it is SO OBVIOUS that you shouldn't do it that no one feels like they have to say it.

I'm the first out of my friends to have a baby, so I really have no frame of reference for whether this is bad or not.

mrs.gosnell
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 9:59 AM
2 moms liked this

my dr has told me that poking and shaking my belly is fine. it helps keeps the baby awake during the day and mommy can sleep better at night. i have to poke and shake my belly several times a day as he is running out of room and not moving as much

NewbieMom2013
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Thanks, Mrs. Gosnell, that is really helpful to know.  I just wish I could talk to my doctor about this....

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:58 AM
It doesn't hurt anything! Baby is well protrected by the uterus and amniotic fluid:-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amar1234
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:36 AM
I am shaking my belly every day when I want to feel my baby lol, dont worry everything is fyn with that, just dont shake hard, either its fine:-) good luck
jojo_star
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:50 AM

If you want the baby to move, drink orange juice with some added sugar. I wouldn't shake your belly anymore, because that kind of motion has the potential to cause issues with the placenta. If you are worried, go to labor and delivery and have them check you out. 

littlemoments99
by Ruby Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this

You should be fine. I did that once. I didn't do it hard just a tiny bit and it was to get him to move from where he was. He was kicking me and it hurt really bad so I just swished him around a little. 

Yesterday my husband and I were poking at him. He was kicking and moving around so much. We would touch him and he would move away. I thought of it as the first time we played with him.   :)

My husband asked if we could hurt him by poking him and I said no. We were barely pressing on my tummy. He was so close to the top. He was probably right up against my skin. It was really cool.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)