Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Should I try to pump?

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:41 AM
  • 24 Replies

I'm 37 weeks today. I saw the Dr Friday and he said my cervix was opening but not yet a full cm. Now I saw the doctor today and he said I'm 2cm and 30% effaced, which he thought was significant progression. He thinks I'll have her in a week-ish. ( I went to 38 last one too).
Last time my milk came in very very early, but this time, nothing yet. I've tried to hand express, and get nothing so far. Would anyone recommend trying the pump in the hopes it might encourage the milk to come in?

by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Why do you want your milk early? And the stimulation could send you into early labor.
tinka_pixie
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:54 AM

Why not? I could save it for when I'm away. And I'm worried that it won't come in since it came in full blown at 6 months last time.

Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:25 AM
You don't start producing milk until the placenta detaches after delivery. You likely do have colostrum which is just fine and normal, and it is very normal to not be able to get anything out until after birth. At 37 weeks I would not feel comfortable pumping because it is likely to give contractions... And I just don't want to feel those until it is time to lol.
rjmac88
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 8:32 AM
No
NDADanceMom
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 8:44 AM
Strange
littlemamarisa
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I thought it was bad to pump while you were pregnant. Maybe I do not have enough information.

CafeMom Tickers
Clemency3
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:08 AM

After everything I have learned about breastfeeding and even asking similar question I have been told to wait. That once baby does come in, it does come in on it's own. My milk never came in prior to any of my children being born but then once they were born the milk came right away. So I would just wait and let it come in on it's own. 

Crystal185
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:19 AM
I've already started producing colostrum and I'm 19 weeks it's so weird lol
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:46 AM
You won't get mature milk because production is triggered when placenta is out. It can take a week of breastfeeding to bring in your milk. Until then you'll produce colostrum about a teaspoon per feeding is all baby needs. When your milk comes in their belly naturally stretches.

Pumping now would be very difficult because colostrum is thicker then milk. Leaking means nothing for production either because I have over produced with NO leaking.

Quoting tinka_pixie:

Why not? I could save it for when I'm away. And I'm worried that it won't come in since it came in full blown at 6 months last time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:02 PM
That's not the norm. Right now you'd just be pumping out tiny bits of colostrum. You don't start producing milk until the placenta detaches after delivery........ And it could also send u into labor.

Quoting tinka_pixie:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)