Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Has anyone ever stole your baby name?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:16 AM
  • 54 Replies

Everyone thought I was having a boy at first because of the way I carring. And because my husband was so excited about the idea of our first child being a son he came up with the most beautiful hebrew baby boy name. We told everyone what the name was and I also told my friend who is also pregnant & having boy. When we found out we are having a girl he came up with another name for her but we said we'd name our son the same name he chose. So how about my friend had the audacity to take the damn baby name?? It really did piss me off because that name meant a lot to my husband & I & she isn't hebrew so she does not even fully understand the importance or meaning of the name & how when you study the name in the hebrew concordence & break it down it relates to my husband & I so very much. Of course I told her how I felt about it so she changed it around a little bit but it still sounds very identical to the one he picked out. Has this ever happened to you before? If so how did you feel? I know now that I will NEVER tell someone my childs name until it is born lol. We are keeping our daughters name on the low down, only close family members know it.

by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tashraq87
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:22 AM
Not really. BUT- this is weird- My DD's "sperm donors" other baby mama has 4 children right now and all were taken away. I am spying" on her by using a fake name on FB (she is dumb and will accept anybody). She is now preg with her 5th child and I saw on there that if she has a girl she will name it Payton Riley...hmmmm! I was going to name my daughter Payton but then I changed it to Riley......
rockmischief
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Lol well maybe she's spying on you too a little bit if she's taking your baby names! that is so weird.

Quoting tashraq87:

Not really. BUT- this is weird- My DD's "sperm donors" other baby mama has 4 children right now and all were taken away. I am spying" on her by using a fake name on FB (she is dumb and will accept anybody). She is now preg with her 5th child and I saw on there that if she has a girl she will name it Payton Riley...hmmmm! I was going to name my daughter Payton but then I changed it to Riley......

Lsilvamom
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Technically no, but yes. We have three boys. For the second we're going to name him Noah, but changed our mind and decided Jeremiah. With the third, we were again thinking Noah, but dh sisters got wind of it and his oldest who didn't have any kids threw a fit because that's what she wants to name her son IF she had one. She sat us down and told us why it ment so much to her and said we can do it, but she will still name her son that. We wanted Noah since kid two and she basically stole it for her unborn, who knows when or if she will have it, son. So we went with Jacob. Good thing this one is a girl so we don't have to have that issue. But we are keeping her name a secret so no issues come up. 

Sorry she did that. I would still name your son that when you do have him. Who knows if you'll still be friends in the future. 

IamMex11
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:49 AM

my mom stole my sisters name from her niece. 

SimplyEnchanted
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:50 AM
We were going to name our oldest Piper Rose bit DH had a cousin due after us and she went into preterm labor then called from the hospital gloating and saying "we stole your name!" She acted very immature over it. We dont see them often and they moved out of state anyway...

We still named oir daughterPiper bit changed her middle name. It wasnt the fact she used it that bugged me it was how she acted over it. Its okay! I like Piper Mercedes better :)
rjmac88
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:56 AM
Is piper rose from something?? You are seriously like the 6th person I've met who at least wanted to name those baby piper rose

Quoting SimplyEnchanted:

We were going to name our oldest Piper Rose bit DH had a cousin due after us and she went into preterm labor then called from the hospital gloating and saying "we stole your name!" She acted very immature over it. We dont see them often and they moved out of state anyway...

We still named oir daughterPiper bit changed her middle name. It wasnt the fact she used it that bugged me it was how she acted over it. Its okay! I like Piper Mercedes better :)
meam4444
by Emerald Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I guess I've never really been bothered when someone uses a name which we already used or have planned on using it.  A name is a name and I find it is really a personal choice of preference of what parents want to call their child..so, if I have a friend who uses (and this has happened before) a name which I have already used or told them that I really hope to use someday, I almost take it as a compliment that we think similar.  And, my husband and I never change our name choices based on others too...it is really our own personal family decision on what we love and what it means to us.  So, I never read too much into or take offense what others name or are naming their child since it is really a personal choice of preference.

esox
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:13 AM

My bf had picked out the name Claire for a girl eons ago when I was first begging for a baby. A little while later his cousin (who has 7 kids already and must be running out of names) took the name. 6 years later, now that we are actually pregnant, he still wants to use the name if we have a girl. There are already so many people with the same name in his family no one will really even think twice about it. 

pregnancy

DACIA79
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this
No because I've been told my kids have white boys names

Damien, Hunter and I'm pregnant with Connor.

Apparently there white baby names and black baby names but I didn't get the memo.
Clemency3
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

No I have never had this happen to me. And from the sound of it, it sounds wrong. To me it would be common sense not to use the name you had announced just out of respect. I list the names of my kids on here and people are more than welcome to use it. But if someone I knew..friend or family member took the name I would be pissed. You try to give your child his or her own name and not a name that is often used around you so there goes that plan. I can't believe she did that. That is horrible. I know you aren't having a boy right now but she could have at least asked how you felt about it before she decided on it. 

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)