Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Not looking forward to this. UPDATE

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:46 PM
  • 33 Replies

So, I have my glucose test in the morning. YUCK! I am not looking forward to drinking that nasty drink & keeping it own for a hour! :-( With my first when I had to take it I was told I couldn't eat anything and boy, oh boy did that drink make me sick on an empty stomach. My doctor that I have now said that I could eat a light breakfast before I had to take the drink. Any suggestions on what is best to eat before the test?

Before my test I ate 1 egg, 2 pieces of bacon, & a dry piece of toast. (I checked with a friend of mine that works at my doctor's office before I ate this)  I chose the red drink because I knew for sure that the orange one was horrible.  I PASSED the test & I DIDN"T get sick! Yay! This time around was so much better than the first time! Thankfully!  

by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
norahsmommy
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Eggs and bacon.Tea or coffee with no sugar or sugar sub. That's it. If you drink juice, eat toast or cereal or fruit, it will mess with your numbers.
DACIA79
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Omelette
mamaanl
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Thanks!!

Quoting norahsmommy:

Eggs and bacon.Tea or coffee with no sugar or sugar sub. That's it. If you drink juice, eat toast or cereal or fruit, it will mess with your numbers.

notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:54 PM
2 moms liked this
Request an alternative. That drink is not only nasty, but it's horrible for you and baby. I drank a big glass of grape juice instead. Just as effective and much healthier.
norahsmommy
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:57 PM
I don't want you to fail your test! The 3 hour is brutal! I failed so many 1 hour glucose tests because of bad info from the nurses. One told me to eat a normal breakfast an hour before the test. I totally flunked that one but passed the 3 hour with flying colors. The next time I was told " you can eat, just no sugar. So have toast and jam, coffee and cereal. But no sugar". Right, most of those things are carbs or 'sugar'.

The 2, one hour tests I took where I just had eggs and black tea, I passed with flying colors.

Quoting mamaanl:

Thanks!!

Quoting norahsmommy:

KPJ
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:59 PM
That drink is soooo gross!! I hate it! Tomorrow I have my 3hr glucose test since i failed the 1hr...
Good luck with yours! :)
Larsbug
by Laura on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:05 PM

I must be the only one with a doc that has different flavored ones that don't taste that bad lol

mamaanl
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:06 PM

I don't want to fail either! If I fail it and have to take the 3 hour test, I think I'll refuse having it done.  I'd rather just change my diet for the rest of my pregnancy and act like I have gestational diabetes in the way I eat rather than do this test all over again for 3 hours. lol.

Quoting norahsmommy:

I don't want you to fail your test! The 3 hour is brutal! I failed so many 1 hour glucose tests because of bad info from the nurses. One told me to eat a normal breakfast an hour before the test. I totally flunked that one but passed the 3 hour with flying colors. The next time I was told " you can eat, just no sugar. So have toast and jam, coffee and cereal. But no sugar". Right, most of those things are carbs or 'sugar'.

The 2, one hour tests I took where I just had eggs and black tea, I passed with flying colors.

Quoting mamaanl:

Thanks!!

Quoting norahsmommy:

mamaanl
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm so sorry! :-(

Quoting KPJ:

That drink is soooo gross!! I hate it! Tomorrow I have my 3hr glucose test since i failed the 1hr...
Good luck with yours! :)

mamaanl
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:08 PM

My doctor had an orange one and a red one.  I remember I took the orange one with my first baby and hated it so I went for the red one this time! Hope it tastes a little better.

Quoting Larsbug:

I must be the only one with a doc that has different flavored ones that don't taste that bad lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)