Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Obgyn or midwife...??

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 6:02 AM
  • 32 Replies
I have used an obgyn for both of my other kids. They were great just not very personal. And, neither of them were the ones that actually delivered my baby. This time, I'm thinking of using a midwife. I had my first appointment yesterday and she made me feel so comfortable. Does anyone have any pros our cons? She mentioned water birth, birthing stool...I'm interested in going more natural this time since it will be my last and with the others I just did epidural. Any advice?
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 6:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Megan11587
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 6:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Not sure- the midwives i see are offiliated with obgyns so they are in the same office. I saw the midwives last pregnancy and ao far this pregnancy. I will be switching to the OB after next visit because i am having a csection. Not really sure what to expect
lillucky8
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:24 AM
1 mom liked this
I went with obgyns bc im highrisk, midwives would have had to step aside if i had any complications and i wouldnt have known the docs so i just stuck w docs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WillsMOM72
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:52 AM
1 mom liked this
I use my obgyn.
rjmac88
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:08 AM
3 moms liked this
I refuse to use an OB. Midwives only
notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:30 AM

I see midwives, but they are real natural birthing midwives. A lot of midwives are more like "medwives" AKA under qualified OB's. I think it's very important to really ask her questions on her practice and what she feels is normal and when she feels intervention is needed.

These are important for any care provider. But be leery because just because someone has the title midwife doesn't automatically make them the traditional ideal.

krystyneh
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:33 AM
I LOVE my OB he actually delivered me and delivered my daughter and knows my family very well :) I'm just sad that he's retiring next year so I'm then switching to a female doctor that just started this year at his office.
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:23 AM
I love having a midwife! I feel like they actually listen to what I have to say.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ilovemykids732
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:26 AM

I had midwifes with both of mine... They let 'nature' take its course as long as they could... and I had complications... I was over due with both babies... and just blah... But I am sure they aren't all like that :)

CelestialSong
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I went to an OB practice until 30 weeks with my first and then switched to a midwife practice, and I would never ever go back unless I was too high risk for a midwife to take me. IMO, if you have any interest at all in a natural birth, you need a midwife. Of course it's possible to have a natural birth an OB but that's just not how they're trained, it's not what they know. You don't want to have to fight for it while you're in the middle of labor.

Just know that not all midwives are the same. I don't have personal experience with this, but I've heard that the closer a midwife works with an OB, the less "natural" minded they are. I would not see a midwife who works directly with an OB in the same practice.

sjenkins8208
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:06 AM
There weren't any good midwives in my area. I looked like 11 months ago, but there were only two and she was over an hour away and the other had BAD reviews. I love my OB though, he delivered my first. I just don't really care for being in the hospital for two days afterwards. Good luck though, and check out any reviews you can
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured