Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

About to deliver in a few hours *Update*

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:02 AM
  • 41 Replies
1 mom liked this
Having a boy. I wasn't going to have him circumsized but last night the doctor said that not having it done will increase his risk of STDs, UTIs and increases his risk of prostate cancer. Is this true?

Update - Baby was born and is doing fine. I want to thank everyone for the replies. I discussed this with several nurses and doctors and I've decided to leave my son intact.
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kaylahk
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:15 AM
1 mom liked this
From what I know, which granted is nowhere close to everything, they have a higher risk iF they do not properly stay hygienic while keeping clean down there. I know that there are lots of women that do it for their boys and lots of women that do not. It comes down to what you want for your son. As long as they stay hygienic there won't be much of a problem that's where the higher risk comes from. I circumcised my son but am not against not doing it. It's up to the parent and what they want for their child. Hope this helps
schultzal
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:21 AM
http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/pregnancy-childbirth/whether-or-not-circumcise

This is a decision that many parents face. There are many misconceptions and out-of-date information that parents may read. Here is a summary of the pertinent issues that you should consider when making this decision.

Medical benefits - THERE ARE NONE! Do not circumcise your baby because you think there are some medical benefits. A recent review by the American Academy of Pediatrics looked at all the data from the past decades to see if there truly were any medical benefits. Their conclusion - NO. There are no significant medical benefits that make circumcision worth doing. Here are a few benefits that we used to think were true, and now know are not.

Cleanliness - although it is true, a circumcised penis does not collect any white stuff underneath the foreskin like an intact penis does, THIS IS NOT A MEDICAL BENEFIT. It is really just one less area to wash in the shower.

Decreased risk of STD's - this was a myth that we now know is not true.

Decreased risk of penile cancer - it used to be thought that circumcised men had a much lower chance of cancer of the penis. We now know that this benefit is much smaller than previously thought. The AAP determined that this benefit is so tiny, it is not worth circumcising for this reason.

Avoiding infections in the foreskin - it is true, occasionally intact foreskins get irritated. This is easily treated with warms soaks and washing. Rarely, the irritated foreskin becomes infected. This requires antibiotics to clear up, but is easily treatable. Even if this does happen once or twice in a person's life, it is not a reason to circumcise at birth.

Avoiding the need to do it later on - very rarely, someone has a problem with recurrent infections in the foreskin that need antibiotic treatment. Some of these men then need to be circumcised in an operating room under general anesthesia. This is extremely rare, however, and is not a reason to circumcise everyone at birth.

Avoiding bladder infections - it used to thought that circumcised boys and men had a much lower chance of bladder infections. The AAP now knows that this benefit is very small, and is only true for the first few years of life. After that, there is no difference in the number of bladder infections. Again, not a reason to circumcise.

THEREFORE, IF YOU DECIDE TO CIRCUMCISE YOUR CHILD, DO NOT DO SO BECAUSE YOU THINK THERE IS ANY MEDICAL BENEFIT.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:22 AM
Dont let the doc push you around. You can always decide to circ later after you are discharged home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
livingrlovesong
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:36 AM
Yes it's true.I work in helathcare and see if all the time. To me, those are MEDICAL reasons, although some will tell you there are none.

But do what's best for you and your family
Gingerbell.RN
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:40 AM
I agree. I have seen first hand adults with issues. I have had at least 3 patients in the whole 3 years I've been a nurse that ended up being circumcised as adults because of infections.

But hey... it's your kid op. It is your decision to make. It is a very personal and I don't think asking cafemom is a good way to gather an opinion.

Quoting livingrlovesong:

Yes it's true.I work in helathcare and see if all the time. To me, those are MEDICAL reasons, although some will tell you there are none.

3kidz123
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:21 AM

NOT TRUE

3kidz123
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:23 AM

You need to research this because those things use to be thought of as true BUT there has been more research proving they are infact false. Do what you want but don't do it based off of false info.

norahsmommy
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:29 AM
No they aren't true. Those health 'benefits' have been proven to be so very small that the risks of surgery outweigh any potential benefit of circ.

The majority of men in the world are not circ'd, and go through life with no problems at all. It's only in the US That boys and men seem to have issues. That stems directly from parents and docs not leaving the thing alone. ;)
krystyneh
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:31 AM
This :)

Quoting livingrlovesong:

katielovesyou21
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:35 AM

yes it is true. besides they may have to have it done as an adult anyways which is way worse. I had a friend and he had to get it done and he was 23 he was in so much pain.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)