Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

About to deliver in a few hours *Update*

Posted by   + Show Post
Having a boy. I wasn't going to have him circumsized but last night the doctor said that not having it done will increase his risk of STDs, UTIs and increases his risk of prostate cancer. Is this true?

Update - Baby was born and is doing fine. I want to thank everyone for the replies. I discussed this with several nurses and doctors and I've decided to leave my son intact.
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:02 AM
Replies (11-20):
Momof2girls1110
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:45 AM
I had a friend who had it done at 15 because of his issues. We all know prepubescents are not exactly clean!
notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:50 AM

The STD study that was done was done in Africa where men have little access to clean water to wash themselves after intercourse, nevermind access to proper healthcare. So no... you can get STD's cut or not.

I believe there is a SLIGHT increase in the risk of a UTI but maybe once in a lifetime? The risk of the surgery itself presents far more liklihood of complications much more serious than a UTI.

And the prostate cancer claim is seriously nearly non-existent in the claims it may prevent it. Again, the surgery can present so many more complications.

Not to mention, the foreskin serves a purpose. It is there to protect his penis. It keeps it clean and sensitive.

I would not do it. I had my first son circumcised. I regret it. I am 38.4 weeks with my second son and he absolutely will remain intact.

pacificamom
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:08 AM

They messed up 2 of my sons in the process. Not worth it IMO 

kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Good luck on your labor & delivery.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:22 AM
STDs: Nope. Unprotected sex increases risk of STDs. Educate your son on condom use.

UTI: Girls are more prone to UTI but we don't cut off parts of them. The foreskin is self cleaning so if it's left unretracted like its supposed to be increased risk is minimal, 1-2%.

Cancer: Breast cancer is one of the most common cancer in women, yet we don't remove breast buds at birth. Why remove the foreskin.

The foreskin provides protection, 20,000 nerves, and it's supposed to be there!

Did you know circumcision started out as a way to prevent boys from masterbating? It was also done without pain relief so boys would remember the pain and not want to.

Quoting gizmo538:

Having a boy. I wasn't going to have him circumsized but last night the doctor said that not having it done will increase his risk of STDs, UTIs and increases his risk of prostate cancer. Is this true?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Oh also 100 boys die every year from complications of circumcision.

Infection, amputation, buried penis... all risks of circumcision and there are many more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:27 AM
3 in 3 years out of the probably hundreds of patients you've seen...

Doesn't seem very common... Hmmm.

Quoting Gingerbell.RN:

I agree. I have seen first hand adults with issues. I have had at least 3 patients in the whole 3 years I've been a nurse that ended up being circumcised as adults because of infections.

But hey... it's your kid op. It is your decision to make. It is a very personal and I don't think asking cafemom is a good way to gather an opinion.

Quoting livingrlovesong:

Yes it's true.I work in helathcare and see if all the time. To me, those are MEDICAL reasons, although some will tell you there are none.

But do what's best for you and your family

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsKaufold1990
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Lol.

Hell no!!!!

If you keep it clean and crap.

Dont torture that baby because someone scared you.

rjmac88
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:43 AM
117 a year.

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

Oh also 100 boys die every year from complications of circumcision.

Infection, amputation, buried penis... all risks of circumcision and there are many more.
goodmama85
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:50 AM
I would just go with your dr and not cafemom because a lot of them will tell you not to do it. do what YOU think is best.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN