Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

About to deliver in a few hours *Update*

Posted by   + Show Post
Having a boy. I wasn't going to have him circumsized but last night the doctor said that not having it done will increase his risk of STDs, UTIs and increases his risk of prostate cancer. Is this true?

Update - Baby was born and is doing fine. I want to thank everyone for the replies. I discussed this with several nurses and doctors and I've decided to leave my son intact.
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:02 AM
Replies (21-30):
mlynnc2
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:55 PM

There are no studies done that it will make them more prone to stds. Sadly drs sell the foreskin of the babies for research etc. That is why they all suggest it be done. I know people who are completly against it and some that are not because it is part of their religion. Its your choice mama and do not let a dr scare you. It will be perfectly fine if you do not!

wolfybaby
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 1:05 PM

no. its about as true as setting up a miniature umbrella in your yard to protect your grass from getting rained on. there is a mild benefit, but its just not worth it.

Mariah-1987
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:12 PM
I have worked in the healthcare feild for the last 5 yrs and honestly I've seen a lot of irritated uncirced penis'. I'm not against not circing. Its your choice your baby don't let people bully you into a choice you didn't want. I'm having a boy this time as well and I'm circing based on my own oppinion and experience.
sparklebug86
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:20 PM

no its not true! my goodness, drs are infuriating

Gingerbell.RN
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:30 PM
I live in a town with a 300pt bed hospital... that is a big deal.

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

3 in 3 years out of the probably hundreds of patients you've seen...

Doesn't seem very common... Hmmm.

Quoting Gingerbell.RN:

I agree. I have seen first hand adults with issues. I have had at least 3 patients in the whole 3 years I've been a nurse that ended up being circumcised as adults because of infections.

But hey... it's your kid op. It is your decision to make. It is a very personal and I don't think asking cafemom is a good way to gather an opinion.

Quoting livingrlovesong:

Yes it's true.I work in helathcare and see if all the time. To me, those are MEDICAL reasons, although some will tell you there are none.

But do what's best for you and your family

VintageWife
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Do you plan on teaching him to wash his penis? Problem solved! You don't remove you daughter's breasts or anything in case she gets breast cancer do you? Why remove other things "just in case"?

VintageWife
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:34 PM

*dies laughing*

I love you! This is coming from someone with two circ'd sons. I didn't know back then but any future ones (this is a girl) won't be done. 

Quoting wolfybaby:

no. its about as true as setting up a miniature umbrella in your yard to protect your grass from getting rained on. there is a mild benefit, but its just not worth it.

lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Its false. My DH, DS and both our families are anit circ. The few that are have always had problems. teaching them how to properly clean is all that is needed. And healthy sex education. Forskin was made for a reason. Removing it is cosmetic.

goddiddlyumshis
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:36 PM
It's your decision. Don't let anyone make it for you. Both of mine are!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this

What I don't understand is the amount of nurses on CM and IRL that say they know of elderly men that get it done because of infections. As their nurse, why aren't you caretakers helping them properly care for all their parts, including the penis, when they no longer can? It makes me angry knowing that any of my male loved ones may have to go through surgery some day because their caretaker refuses to help them keep their genitals clean when they can't. 

Quoting Gingerbell.RN:

I agree. I have seen first hand adults with issues. I have had at least 3 patients in the whole 3 years I've been a nurse that ended up being circumcised as adults because of infections.

But hey... it's your kid op. It is your decision to make. It is a very personal and I don't think asking cafemom is a good way to gather an opinion.

Quoting livingrlovesong:

Yes it's true.I work in helathcare and see if all the time. To me, those are MEDICAL reasons, although some will tell you there are none.

But do what's best for you and your family

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)