Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

About to deliver in a few hours *Update*

Posted by   + Show Post
Having a boy. I wasn't going to have him circumsized but last night the doctor said that not having it done will increase his risk of STDs, UTIs and increases his risk of prostate cancer. Is this true?

Update - Baby was born and is doing fine. I want to thank everyone for the replies. I discussed this with several nurses and doctors and I've decided to leave my son intact.
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:02 AM
Replies (31-40):
wolfybaby
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this

why was he in pain? hes 23, he can pop a vicoden. newborns can not. imagine how much pain *they* are in with absolutely no pain meds. including inadequate "numbing gel" during the procedure of cutting his foreskin off his penis.

Quoting katielovesyou21:

yes it is true. besides they may have to have it done as an adult anyways which is way worse. I had a friend and he had to get it done and he was 23 he was in so much pain.

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Jun. 27, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Not really. I highly suggest you do your own research before deciding. everyone is going to give you a different opinion, but you need to know the facts to decide.

NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I agree with these ladies, and have seen first hand issues had by both children and adults! But I know its a dangerous subject on cafemom! I am not one to assume a Dr is given accurate info without doing my own research, so do your own.

Quoting Gingerbell.RN:

I agree. I have seen first hand adults with issues. I have had at least 3 patients in the whole 3 years I've been a nurse that ended up being circumcised as adults because of infections.

But hey... it's your kid op. It is your decision to make. It is a very personal and I don't think asking cafemom is a good way to gather an opinion.

Quoting livingrlovesong:

Yes it's true.I work in helathcare and see if all the time. To me, those are MEDICAL reasons, although some will tell you there are none.

But do what's best for you and your family

LoveOfWisdom
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 3:45 PM
We have one who is, one who isn't. So far no issues with either. There is no increased risk of infection OR STDs with an uncircumcised penis. More noticeable symptoms? Maybe, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Think about how many men wall around with STDs and no symptoms.

The reason the nurses that have posted are seeing problems is because they work in the health care profession! If a small town is seeing a lot of increased std and infection problems, the CDC needs to be notified an the public needs to be educated on std prevention and proper hygiene.
LoveOfWisdom
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 3:46 PM
But IF you do, wait until day 8 when clothing factors are better.
HJMF
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 3:50 PM
It's a personal choice and honestly, IMO there are MANY not circumcised and they are just fine!
Allinaday
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I have never heard of that.  I've always been informed by several doctors that it is cleaner and healthier to be circumsized.  Good luck with the delivery!  Yeah!

ilovemykids732
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 6:09 PM

How did it all go Mama, I hope you delivered a happy and healthy baby boy... no matter what your choices to do with his penis were... :)

Devious103102
by Ruby Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Same. I've worked as a home health aid and CNA in a nursing home (the nursing home also had a floor for regular hospital patiences recovering from surgeries) and in the 2 yrs I did both jobs I've seen/talked to numerous patiences who had to have it done as adults. My brother also had to have it done as an adult.

Do what's right for you and your family. 

Quoting Gingerbell.RN:

I agree. I have seen first hand adults with issues. I have had at least 3 patients in the whole 3 years I've been a nurse that ended up being circumcised as adults because of infections.

But hey... it's your kid op. It is your decision to make. It is a very personal and I don't think asking cafemom is a good way to gather an opinion.

Quoting livingrlovesong:

Yes it's true.I work in helathcare and see if all the time. To me, those are MEDICAL reasons, although some will tell you there are none.

But do what's best for you and your family

shell3m
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:51 PM

do what you want, but just make sure you teach him to keep it super clean.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)