Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Maryland outlaws bumper pads-Smart or Stupid?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:13 AM
  • 27 Replies

Maryland banned the sale of bumper pads recently. 

Do you use bumper pads? Do you think government should have the right to outlaw something like this?

by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjimaging
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Are you talking the crib bumpers? I avoid unsafe baby products (when I know about safety hazards). So I won't use the crib bumpers.
HopeRegardless
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Hmm I find it interesting that they have been actually outlawed, but I could understand considering they increase the risk of infant death and injury. I had always thought that cribs had to have one to keep a baby safe, until I got pregnant and started researching and realized that that is simply not true. I think it's people's right to choose what's best for their child, but I wouldn't understand why someone would want to use a product that have been proven to be unsafe.
mrs.hartman12
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Stupid, my baby got her leg twisted so bad in the crib rails that her leg was bruised and she was having trouble walking. I don't need the government telling me how to take care of my child. No one is more vested, no one loves my children more than me.

CatFishMom
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:40 AM

It doesnt matter who uses them or doesnt, who gives anyone the right to tell me I cant? No, it is not the place of the government to ban something like flipping bedding. Are they going to start telling us we cant have down blankets or cotton ones because they pose allergy risks? Or that our sheets have to be x thread count because it's better for us? The part that kills me is that they say they dont have any real benefit-well, thats their OPINION, or the opinion of a few people who did some 'studies'. Sorry, they dont have the right to tell me what I can buy for my child. They need to stay out of private lives.

glitterrain
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 1:29 PM

yeah i think they are stupid, they are not outlawed here i dont think but they dont suggest using them i got one only after my daughter was 1 bc she kept throwing her bottle underneath her crib and i couldnt get it.  it helped until she started climbing on them! so yeah waste of time!

Lili4You
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this
I personally don't see a problem with it. It's unsafe and unneeded. It's not like it the bumper only causes bruising or allergies but it has been shown to cause death which is a whole lot worse than a bruise or even a broken leg in my opinion. It's like drunk driving. Not everybody who does it causes death but it has happened enough times to make it illegal.
CelestialSong
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Are the breathable ones banned as well?

The government has already outlawed drop-side cribs because people kept using them despite the dangers. People keep buying those giant pillow-looking bumpers as parts of cute nursery sets, so I guess they figured if people won't stop buying them on their own they need to step in. Same with seat belt and car seat laws. There are a lot of laws like this, actually.

HappyMorgana
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:01 PM
If I buy a baby set that comes with bumpers, the bumpers get thrown in the trash.
piesmama09
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I had a crib bumper, but she was a big baby and could turn her head herself before we even left the hosital. I never had to worry about things her not being able to lift her head, etc..

erinf28
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:19 PM

The breathable ones and the vertical bumpers are still allowed, but not recommended.

Quoting CelestialSong:

Are the breathable ones banned as well?

The government has already outlawed drop-side cribs because people kept using them despite the dangers. People keep buying those giant pillow-looking bumpers as parts of cute nursery sets, so I guess they figured if people won't stop buying them on their own they need to step in. Same with seat belt and car seat laws. There are a lot of laws like this, actually.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN