Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

cytotec....you cant be serious!

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 1:54 PM
  • 18 Replies

So I had my 37/38 week check up today. 1 CM dilated and thats about all the dr could figure out because she could barely reach my cervix. I asked her how far past my due date they would let me go and she said they wont. If she isnt here by 40 weeks they will induce. I told her that I am going to be very selective with my induction options and will only except 1 or 2. She said they use Cytotec. When I was leaving the office I googled it and wouldnt you know, its not at all safe for pregnancy or induction and can cause uterine ruptures and birth defects. Its also considered category X. 

Why on hell would you administer this?????

A friend of mine was given this and told me that it was incredibly painful and didnt help her dilate so she ended up with a c-section because the baby went into distress. Not only that, it caused her to hallucinate really bad. Her sister had the same experience! 

Obviously not going that route so do I have the right to tell the dr that I want to go past 40 weeks or is there a chance they will drop me as a patient?

CafeMom Tickers
CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 1:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wolfybaby
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 1:58 PM

no no no no. i thought that crap was banned!? why are you letting your doctor bully you around? you are the pregnant lady here. you will have the delivery you damn well want. are you high risk? is it going to kill you or your baby to go passed week 40? your doctor does know that due dates are off by 2 weeks either way, right? if you go til week 42, that *is* your babys due date and its *not* going "past your due date".. 42+ weeks is going past your due date.

wolfybaby
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:01 PM

if your doctor is really just trying to pressure you into deliverying when *he* wants you to out of convenience, there is a good chance you can stand your ground and make him follow your orders.

if hes some crazy guy that seriously believes its detrimental to your healthy and baby, he can and has the right to drop you as a patient.

Mommabearbergh
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:01 PM
Why the hell are they still using that. It's been proven to be a drug that shouldn't be used. I would ask what are their other options.
sparklebug86
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:02 PM

They say im high risk because I get migraines that cause vision loss which she says is a sign of potential stroke. 

I however am not open to entertaining the idea of cytotec. That is much to risky! 

Quoting wolfybaby:

no no no no. i thought that crap was banned!? why are you letting your doctor bully you around? you are the pregnant lady here. you will have the delivery you damn well want. are you high risk? is it going to kill you or your baby to go passed week 40? your doctor does know that due dates are off by 2 weeks either way, right? if you go til week 42, that *is* your babys due date and its *not* going "past your due date".. 42+ weeks is going past your due date.

CafeMom Tickers
sparklebug86
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:08 PM

no idea! I cant find anything that says they arent allowed to but, its not approved by the FDA however there is a loop hole to get around that

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2684033/

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

Why the hell are they still using that. It's been proven to be a drug that shouldn't be used. I would ask what are their other options.

CafeMom Tickers
sparklebug86
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Pressuring me, not yet....im actually the one who brought up the induction methods but she did mention that they wont allow me to go past my due date. Obviously cytotec is not happening and I will research anything they try to stick up there before they do it. Pitocin is also not happening, ill take a c-section first. 

Ive never had to decline induction or tell a dr that I will go past 40 weeks but my natural methods arent doing much so im hoping that she gets moving pretty quickly here! 

Quoting wolfybaby:

if your doctor is really just trying to pressure you into deliverying when *he* wants you to out of convenience, there is a good chance you can stand your ground and make him follow your orders.

if hes some crazy guy that seriously believes its detrimental to your healthy and baby, he can and has the right to drop you as a patient.

CafeMom Tickers
wolfybaby
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:17 PM

i would request they change their chart to "allow" you to go beyond your gross estimate of a due date. any form of induction before baby is ready is not healthy for anyone involved!

i was in sort of the same situation. my doctor pressured me hard about getting an induction because she "believed" i was at risk for pre-eclampsyia [i wasnt really, she was just the type a personality and jumped the gun]. she just wanted me to "get it over with already" because my cervix was already dilated and whatnot. but i wasnt planning on going to the induction. i would have told her, "my cervix may be ready, but my baby isnt!"

i went into labor a day before she wanted me to get induced. i walked 2 miles the previous day, so maybe that helped? lol!

Quoting sparklebug86:

Pressuring me, not yet....im actually the one who brought up the induction methods but she did mention that they wont allow me to go past my due date. Obviously cytotec is not happening and I will research anything they try to stick up there before they do it. Pitocin is also not happening, ill take a c-section first. 

Ive never had to decline induction or tell a dr that I will go past 40 weeks but my natural methods arent doing much so im hoping that she gets moving pretty quickly here! 

Quoting wolfybaby:

VintageWife
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:32 PM

She would have gotten an earful from me. I had to tell off my old OB because he tried to bully me into it and I told him there was no way in heck that stuff was going into me.

AmericanChild82
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:42 PM
I have watched youtube interviews where cytotec was used and it KILLED both mother and child. I would tell your ob to stick it up her ass before ever coming near you. I would also be finding a new OB asap!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Jun. 27, 2013 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Your doctor has no rights when it comes to telling you what to do. You have all the rights to do whatever you want. You can refuse induction altogether and refuse any medications at any point.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)