Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

How do you put this nicely?

So we are planning on having my shower at a park. 

But we want it to be known that if you bring your children, you must bring someone who was not invited to the shower to watch your children while at the park. 

I was thinking

"Other fathers needed to help expecting father with children at park during games/presents" 

But we aren't sure how to put it with out sounding rude.

My husband will be there specifically to help with the children, as he will already have our daughter.

Holy fucking shit.....

Some of you women need to get your panties of your assholes...

AND FUCKING READ. 

I already came up with wordidng, well my mother did. 

"Children are welcome to attend, but please make sure there is some one there to watch them after lunch is served if you plan on attending the games and gift opening." 

How is that hard to realize? 

I am going to say most will end up leaving their children at home anyways, but we are putting the option there, since there is a play ground on BOTH sides of the pavilion we are using. 

by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 4:43 PM
Replies (431-440):
kara.haughton
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 3:48 AM

I don't think I understand. You want people to bring someone to watch their kids while at the shower because kids aren't necessarily allowed at the shower? That just seems weird to me. Why can't they bring their kids and watch them themselves or just don't give them the option of bringing kids 

MeghMirab
by Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 8:33 AM
Why don't you just make it a girls only baby shower? That would seem to solve a lot of the issues.
1stTimeMom1982
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Sounds like you worded it right. Hope all goes well.
chocolate75751
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Yes, your wording would be fine. I wouldn't be offended. I think that is good, glad you think of the kids and having someone look after them while at the party and not just turn them loose without adult supervision. 

littleangie
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:39 PM

The ladies are right on their responses, you ask for opinion and then you get very defensive and nasty when someone disagrees with you. 

When my sister threw me a beautiful baby shower. I still wanted to make sure that my guests were enjoying themselves and to see if they needed anything. We did only address the guests, but some of them asked  if it was okay to bring their child/children with them.  We were fine with that.  The parent of the children were gracious and grateful.  They did not have to bring some other person to supervise them because they were part of the celebration.  We allowed them to be involved with the games and gift opening.  My sister set up a little table with kid's games, arts, and crafts as a back up plan within a distance so that their parents can supervise them.  Not only did I have a memorable and wonderful time, so did my friends and family.  That was six years ago.  It is many of the same people that attend my children's birthday parties.  Especially the ones with children. 

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

No i will not ask how many children.

It is not my responsbility to make sure parents have proper supervision for their children at an event like that.

So they are more then welcomed to bring their children, but itll also be known that they need to have someone who is not invited to the shower to watch their children.

Or they can leave the children at home.

Im not going to spend money on sitters, thats not my job. Nor am i going to provide things for a child to do there, reason we are having it at a park.

My job is to go and have a good time and enjoy myself.

Quoting littleangie:

You are opening Pandora's box with your statement on the invitation.  To be honest, I would find it offensive and probably would not go.  I would interpret as, hey your kids are welcomed, but you have to find your own entertainment for them while they are here.  If I am going to spend good money on a nice gift, I am not going to be stressed about who is going to watch my kids at the function.  Personally for me, when I am invited to a shower, my husband will stay home to watch the kids.  He does not like to go to showers and I  respect that.   

My advice to you is to include on the invitation if the person is attending and if they are bringing children, and include number of children.  Get an idea of how many children may be coming.  This way you can plan ways to hire someone to entertain or supervise them while the guests play games and you open presents. 

I know that some of the criticism and response that you have received is a bit harsh and it can hurt.  I hope that it gives you an insight on how your guests may possibly feel if you take this route on your shower and ways that you can change it to make it enjoyable for everyone. 

Most importantly, congratulations on you babies. 

Skye24
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Are you planning on using that filthy language on the invitation ? Just wondering. I would simply say Adults only, If children do come-- let the parent know that they are responsible.  Why would you be afraid to speak to people that you have the courage to invite to your shower ?

Turtledoves
by Platinum Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:08 PM

I have been to and have had kid friendly showers. They were very well behaved, and I definitely didn't mind them being in the shower. Personally, when I go to a shower, I'm BORED TO DEATH at the gift opening part, I would welcome any distraction. I honestly don't care about watching what everyone got you, and I hated everyone watchign me open gifts. But that's just my experience.

It sounds like someone gave you great wording. If you don't want to make it simple and say no kids/adults only or make it kid friendly (I'm not sure why your husband would be expected to take 20+ children by himself?) then I'd go with that.

preggars
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:12 AM
It would be a lot easier to just say no kids. Sorry, but there's no nice way for you to put it that they aren't welcome for the whole shower. It'd be way nicer to just put no children. But all of my friends brought their kids to my shower and we had to problem.
Pinky5511
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:17 AM
We did this. On the invite it was stated something to the effect of "there are activities for the children and men (fathers) outside while the shower is inside." Then I made sure the guys had beer on ice before they got there ;) Everyone was happy.
monicas3w
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:22 PM

I think the wording is fine. My sister went to a local daycare center and asked some of the girls there if they can help organize the children and play with them for a couple of hours at my shower. It worked out great. My sister paid them $50 each and there were 3. They split up into groups ( age ) and had bubbles, kick ball, or just general supervision on the swing set and she had a trampoline ( at her house ). The parents also got involved so it was a really fun day,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)