Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Is 29 weeks too early to....

have a baby shower? The only reason being, whatever we don't receive at the shower we will obviously have to go out and buy and we won't be able to do all that at once so we'll need some time to do so. I delivered my daughter at 36 weeks so I want to be prepared by that point. Also do you think it's greedy to have a second shower? Its been over 5 years since my DD and this one is a boy, plus its my SO's first baby. My DD's dad has a lot of the stuff we got at her shower because I lived there for a long time after she was born. He wont give me the travel system or her bouncy seat. Opinions please??

Also, was your shower co-ed or just women?

by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:34 AM
Replies (11-20):
kysmama08
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I had a shower at 34 weeks and am having another one after she's born as a getting to know her party. I don't think 29 weeks is too early, it's probbaly smarter that way. I'm not a millionaire lol so I can't just go out and get everything all at once, it takes time. Also, it was co-ed. My fiance wanted to be involved :)

LilliesValley
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:45 AM

My sil is 28 weeks and having hers this weekend. Seems early to me. I mean I get not wanting to buy everything at the last minute but seriously, just put some money to the side, $20-50 a week. But if you're 29 weeks now, it's going to mltn take a few weeks to plan a shower so you'll probably be past 31 weeks before anything is set. I don't think it's wrong to have a shower for a second baby. Some folks don't agree with them, they may not come or send a smaller gift, but with it being your SO first baby, a different sex and 5 years since your last those are all good reasons to have one. My shower was just women.

goobersmom713
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Not greedy to have a second shower I had one for my little one and no that's not to early I had mine early to...glad I did it early because Keziah came early
marissabrookee
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I'm only 17 weeks now, I'll be 29 weeks toward the end of September.

Quoting LilliesValley:

My sil is 28 weeks and having hers this weekend. Seems early to me. I mean I get not wanting to buy everything at the last minute but seriously, just put some money to the side, $20-50 a week. But if you're 29 weeks now, it's going to mltn take a few weeks to plan a shower so you'll probably be past 31 weeks before anything is set. I don't think it's wrong to have a shower for a second baby. Some folks don't agree with them, they may not come or send a smaller gift, but with it being your SO first baby, a different sex and 5 years since your last those are all good reasons to have one. My shower was just women.

marissabrookee
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:48 AM

thats exactly my thoughts! its not for me at all... my moms telling me I cant invite any of the same people that came to my DD's shower. Im not friends with any of my HS friends anymore so that wont be an issue but all my mom and dads extended family came and I actually think they'd be hurt if they werent invited to this one.

Quoting littlemamarisa:

ooh no, I hope your feelings didn't get hurt!!

I think you should have more then one shower. 5 years ago was while ago and plus it is a boy this time around. Things have changed plus things are more expensive now too so with all the help you can get take it! 

It's really not for you it is for baby boy :)

Quoting marissabrookee:

yeah my mom keeps telling me I'm greedy for having a 2nd shower for this baby even though its been over 5 years since my DD was born and this baby is a boy.

Quoting littlemamarisa:

Yes it is my first..... She is spoiled already! :)

Quoting marissabrookee:

is this your first baby?

Quoting littlemamarisa:

I had three baby showers, one at 29 weeks, another one at 32 weeks and my last one at 33 weeks.

All three of my showers were co-ed. Hope you have fun!

alkakfnxcpoem
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:53 AM

My dad's cousin had a second baby shower, her first was a boy and then they had a girl like 6 years later. I don't think anyone was offended at all. Hers was ladies only. I'm planning on having a traditional ladies only baby shower and then a pre-baby BBQ party thing for all of our friends after that. So the second one will be co-ed and not really a shower....more just a celebration. I stole the idea from my cousin haha she called it her baby rager.

littlemamarisa
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Do whatever makes your happy... the more people hopefully the more gifts that will help you out in the long run.

I swear family can drive you crazy sometimes :)

Quoting marissabrookee:

thats exactly my thoughts! its not for me at all... my moms telling me I cant invite any of the same people that came to my DD's shower. Im not friends with any of my HS friends anymore so that wont be an issue but all my mom and dads extended family came and I actually think they'd be hurt if they werent invited to this one.

Quoting littlemamarisa:

ooh no, I hope your feelings didn't get hurt!!

I think you should have more then one shower. 5 years ago was while ago and plus it is a boy this time around. Things have changed plus things are more expensive now too so with all the help you can get take it! 

It's really not for you it is for baby boy :)

Quoting marissabrookee:

yeah my mom keeps telling me I'm greedy for having a 2nd shower for this baby even though its been over 5 years since my DD was born and this baby is a boy.

Quoting littlemamarisa:

Yes it is my first..... She is spoiled already! :)

Quoting marissabrookee:

is this your first baby?

Quoting littlemamarisa:

I had three baby showers, one at 29 weeks, another one at 32 weeks and my last one at 33 weeks.

All three of my showers were co-ed. Hope you have fun!

cantsayno
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:02 AM

First, you ex is an ASS! It was for your daughter, and what is he going to do with it? If he has a baby using it that's one thing, but if he doesn't there is no reason why you shouldn't  be able to use it. Second, I don't think that is to early. You are right. Most people can't afford just to go out and buy everything they still need. I had two children from my first husband, and had a shower for my first. When I got pregnant with my third child with my now husband, his family had a shower for her since she was his first and there was a four year gap. I would ask your SO what they want, to be there for a co-ed or skip all the female drama and just have it all women.stork

Tippytetoe
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I had 2 showers for this baby. One in Utah for my family, which the guys came and the second was thrown for me by my co-workers, women only. The first was a great success, everyone had a wonderful time. We did not play any games or anything. We did quilt though, it was awesome. My hubby, grandpa, dad, brother and uncles put stitches in for my sweet baby boys quilt. It was so much fun!! 

NatyRod
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:00 AM
It's never too early to be ready... We having ours at 31 wks. And it's totally ok to have a second shower, specially if its been a whole since ur daughter was born and this baby is a different gender. How are u feeling by the way?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN