Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Safe Work Outs While Pregnant

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:31 PM
  • 7 Replies
Pre-pregnancy, I went to the gym a lot. Despite my constant fatigue, I'm still trying to stay active and work out (for the most part) normally. My problem is, a lot of the exercises I engaged in were core and ab related, and I've been told that's not good while pregnant. What is safe to do at the gym, and what isn't? I want to keep active and healthy throughout my pregnancy so I can A) Hopefully have an easier birth and B) Loose the baby weight faster after birth.
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Allinaday
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Any type of cardio is always good.  The general rule I was told by my doctor was if you are used to doing it, you can keep doing it so long as you do not feel any pain.  With my first pregnancy I kept jogging well into my 6th month of pregnancy.  With this pregnancy I like to swim alot, and ride the exercise bike.  Just remember you are already burning more calories with the pregnancy so keep yourself hydrated and eat accordingly.  Also stick to the rule that what you eat is more important than exercise when it comes to watching your weight.

Mommy of two, third one on the way!

www.healthyfitnessmom.com

EvrybodysFriend
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:21 PM
You can still do strength training but not as heavy as you were doing. I was told to do planks for core/abs. The biggest thing is you don't want to be flat on your back as you get bigger with baby. Use a stability ball or an inclined bench for certain moves. Squats are good too. Of course cardio but you have to keep your heart rate at a certain lvl....ask your doc about that. If you have instagram, check out synkaaos. She is awesome and has moves on there as well
brknBelle
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:30 PM
I'm nervous bc I liked to do crunches and lots of an work out, but I don't want to strain that region of my body.
Mistygirl
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I do crossfit still, which has a lot of core and ab related workouts, you should check out crossfit mom, only because it gives great motification workouts for core and ab stuff that is safe throughout all stages of pregnancy. You can do any of these movements, even if you do not do crossfit, it will be safe.

alkakfnxcpoem
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I feel you. I went running a lot and did a lot of at home exercises that I can't do now that I'm pregnant. Plus if you google "pregnancy exercises" it always comes up with the same four moves that do pretty much nothing. I've been running/jogging still, but I had trouble with it during the first trimester and beginning of second trimester. Now it's been ridiculously hot or raining for weeks so I haven't been able to go in a while :/ So at home I've been doing push ups, squats, kegels, cat/cow...there isn't much, unfortunately.

EvrybodysFriend
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Check her out for pregnancy fitness

http://instagram.com/synkaaos

brierrose2484
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:07 PM

I like this video for a pregnant core work out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBOLEXXyPbk

I use bands for arm and back work outs. I run 3-4 times a week and hit the gym for cycling or elliptical 1-2 a week. This is my 4th pregnancy and I've found you can do most exercises while pregnant. The most important advice I can give is know when to pace yourself, because pregnancy can change the way you body reacts to a workout, and drink lots of water.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)