Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cried all the way home!!!!! :(

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:05 PM
  • 11 Replies

I'm 38 weeks 2 days.......I went for my 38 week appt. thinking I was gonna get great progression news. I was wrong!! I'm still not even 1 cm dilated she says but I'm thinning out whatever that means. Baby has not dropped at all and if he doesn't come by his due date in 12 days I won't be able to VBAC!!!! I was gonna just give up and schedule a cecearen but part of me want to wait it out and let my body go into labor so I can have a vaginal birth. The hospital is strict so they won't give me any potocin or anything to induce because of uterine rupture possibility with VBAC. I don't think he is going to show up on his own in 12 days. She told me to do lots of walking and I am but my feet are swollen now so it's getting difficult. Funny thing is I had a cerclage placed at 23 weeks and removed at 36 weeks due to me having my daughter at 29 weeks because of IC!!!! Now this little guy doesn't want to come out at all. Ugggg

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:09 PM
Thinning out means your cervix is getting ready and softening up. Don't worry too much, my son didn't drop until 39 weeks and I went in for my check up at 39 weeks and 5 days with no change then 3 hrs later went in for an induction and was at 5 cm and fully effaced. It can happen quick.
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:12 PM
I think that's great progress for 38 weeks but also means nothing. Hang in there! You have almost 2 weeks.
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:15 PM

My first baby my water broke and I was dilated only 1 cm.  Then  I was in labor for 24 hrs only dilated 1.5 cm, and had a VB.  An epidural was the only thing that allowed me to dilate.

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I think that's terrible they are only giving you to your due date to go into labor in order to have a VBAC.
Most babies do not arrive on or before their due date.
It's like they're settin you up for failure.
I'm sorry. That would make me mad.
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:25 PM
Your hospital sucks. Babies can go up to 42 weeks. They don't sound very educated. A baby should progress on their own. That's safest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Tasha on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:26 PM
I would be pissed they told me I had to go into labor by a set date. The baby will come when ready . Not every baby comes on or before their due date.
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:33 PM
What will happen if you insist on waiting until 43w (not that you'll go that long!)? They can schedule all the c/s they want, but they can't force you to show up nor can they turn you away if you show up in active labor. And progression can happen fast. I went from 0 dilation, 75% effaced for months (preterm labor) to baby in arms after 8 hours spontaneous labor. Ds2, I had to be induced, was at 3cm for 2 days, they broke my water and he was in my arma in an hour and 45 mins! So you just never know. Don't stress and don't let them bully you.
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:42 PM
I was closed up tight until 39 weeks with my second baby. I showed up the following the following week at barely 1cm. My water ended up breaking on my due date, and he was born the next morning. I had heard over and over that dilation does not predict when baby will come. I never believed it, until I had my son. Like I said, I went from barely a 1, to water breaking and showing p at the hospital at a 4-5cm 2 days later. Good luck! I hope you get your VBAC!
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:54 PM
I was 1 cm in the appointment 4 days before she was born. Having said that if you hit your due date but don't show up at the hospital, they can't cut you right?

Not inducing is a good thing. What if you wait until you go into labor on your own and show up at the hospital when you are in active labor?
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:55 PM
Thinning out is your cervix preparing for birth. To give birth your cervix will be 100% thinned/effaced and 10cm dilated.

Why the deadline anyway? Babies come between 38 and 42 weeks usually.

Things can change quickly don't let them rush you! You are progressing just slowly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)