Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Im worried

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:06 PM
  • 7 Replies

I just found out Im pregnant 7 weeks. I got along way to go. But Im a CNA so my job is very physical. I cant quit me job but Im worried it can cause harm to the baby. I have 4 other children with them I worked up to the day I delivered but not as a CNA. The thing is my boss said pregnancy isnt a disability which I agree but lifting 2 and 300 lb men and women is my worry. If they could help it would be different but the residents I have is dead weight so its all me. Some that can help like to pull against you and try to take a seat in the floor which we cant let happen. So Im lifting pulling tugging and pushing alot of weight 8 hrs aday so Im just wondering if anybody on here did CNA while pregnant. I just need some reasurance and mayb some idea I can use for safty

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MaNdYbEaR2010
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:07 PM
Hope you get an answer to your question.

Lifting that much weight alone doesn't sound safe, pregnant or not.
LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:22 PM
This. You shouldn't be lifting 300lb patients by yourself ever. Ask for some help. If you tell them your circumstances, they may be understanding. I'm not a CNA but I am a nurse and I never do more than I know my body can handle.

Quoting MaNdYbEaR2010:Hope you get an answer to your question.

Lifting that much weight alone doesn't sound safe, pregnant or not.
esox
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:36 PM
1 mom liked this

It may not be a disability but it is a medical condition and you can't be fired over needing adaptations or limitations placed on your work requirements because of pregnancy. 

Good Luck! Most companies are just skeevy and will make up a reason. 

jocrox01
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:59 PM
I'm not a cna but my friend was/is and while she was pregnant she asked to be on light duty like handing out water to the patients etc... they as well told her no at first but she kept pushing for it. you know what's good for your baby and your body do not let any job potentially harm you or your unborn child!
twinkle197
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 8:32 AM

I do have help im sorry i put me I have another cna so its us.

Capemom01
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 8:37 AM
I was a cna all through my first pregnancy and was fine. That being said i also asked my coworkers for help when I needed it. It was definitely tough towards the end. Good luck!
krystyneh
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 8:40 AM
With my daughter I worked as an LNA (same as CNA but in my state u get a license instead of a certificate) and I worked until 8 months pregnant. I went into premature labor at 27-29 weeks due to some health problems. I have a lot of friends that work as nurses and LNAs that do that that have had fine healthy babies. Your doctor will give u a note if they want something changed for u at your job. Always ask other co-workers for help if you don't feel comfortable doing something. Congrats on your pregnancy :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)