Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When To Tell Everyone The Big News!!!

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:54 PM
  • 6 Replies

Poll

Question: When did you tell everyone the big news?

Options:

As soon as you found out

After the first trimester

When I send out invites to the baby's high school graduation ;-)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 18

View Results

When I was pregnant with my first baby, I did wait a little while to tell my mother because I was only 18 and unmarried but my step sister actually did know because she was in a similar situation when she was knocked up and I wanted advice. She was very immature when she was pregnant but she had grown up some. She advised me to set some things in motion, arrange for a better job, make a plan, ect. I waited until I had secured a better job to tell mom because I didn't want her to think I was irresponsible. I was 6 weeks when I found out and I was 9 weeks when I told her.

With this baby, I was eight weeks when I found out and I just couldn't wait to tell her. My husband was at work when I got the call from my doctor. I was alone with the kids and couldn't tell them before my husband and I couldn't call my mother either. I jumped online and found two of my friends on another site I belong to and told them (good friends, one I know in real life and the other only online but we talk a lot about everything). When my husband got home, I took him to the bedroom while the kids watched TV and told him, then we called the kids together and told them (my 19mo does NOT believe me. She lifted my shirt and saw no baby so she thinks we're all liars) and then we both called our parents. This is only the second time I have been pregnant. My oldest is my stepdaughter and my youngest is adopted.

I am curious because, apparently it is standard practice to wait until you are in your second trimester to tell people so that, if you have a miscarriage, no one knew about the baby anyway. For me personally, I couldn't wait to tell my family and my husband couldn't wait to tell his.

#1: I am a talker and I can't keep something like this a secret. I can not talk on the phone to my mother or my sisters or brother and not tell them that I am pregnant. I just couldn't. I would blurt it out or explode.

#2: If something should happen and I do have a miscarriage, I would not want to go through that alone. Yes, it may be awkward to call people and tell them that I lost the baby but my mother, mother in law, and one of my sisters, and one of my best friends have all had miscarriages and I would want to have someone to go to who knows what I am going through.

I am not the type of person who would rather my family stay out of my personal life. I am the kind of person who takes comfort in the closeness of my loved ones. I go to my mother for a shoulder to cry on and for advice. I go to my sisters for the same as well.

CafeMom Tickers
CafeMom Tickers
CafeMom Tickers
CafeMom Tickers
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
comptonkids
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:02 PM
my first two, we told as soon as we knew
my son,I was close to 12 weeks, mostly it was out if fear of their reaction

this one,I was 12 weeks as well, again.. fear of their reaction
NDADanceMom
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:05 PM
I told at about 14 weeks. My kids knew earlier.
Babes2626
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I told people after the first trimester!! 

HerWife0421
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:17 PM
I told everyone right away after confirmation and I was 4W3D and I am almost 12 weeks now. (: Happy and Healthy 9 Months!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Xo.LOVES.Xo
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:41 PM

I told people close, like my best friend who lives next door and another friend who lived down the street, the day after my BFP but I waited until 6 weeks to announce to the world. Was still early but I couldn't contain it any longer! Lol oh and I'm 15 weeks today :)

With my first baby, I was young too so I waited a very long time before saying anything but with my other two kids I announced right away. 

KittyTussand
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:59 PM

with my daugher i told the world as soon as i knew!!! we were so happy!! hubby and I had been togeather for 9 years and waited to have kids. So we shouted it to the world.  

a year and ahalf later we were lucky enough to get pregnant again after a year of trying. and again we told the world asap! unfortunitly we lost the babe at 8 1/2 weeks i was heart broken and telling people was the hardest thing

But the faits wernt done a few months later we were plessed again and that time we waited until 13 weeks.  we made a super nice annoucment and sent it out in the mail. and that miracle will be 6 weeks old on thursday!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)