police lightsSometimes what becomes part of a pregnant woman's birth plan is to get to the hospital as soon as possible. You rush into the car and speed when it's go time. That's what happened to one unnamed mom in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. She along with her husband and 5-year-old child were enjoying the fireworks during a festival called Summerfest. Then mama went into labor. Because of the festival, the streets were heavily congested and many were closed or re-routed. But dad found a way to get through it all, driving up to 50 mph and through red lights.

I know. I know. Dangerous. But we've got to believe this dad was as careful as possible trying to get his wife to the hospital on time. Then the cops gave chase.

Officer Xavier Benitez and Adam Bradley were in their squad car and thought they recognized the red car as one they had pulled over in the past. Hmm. Looks like the speedracer needs to slow down when not in emergency situations, too. This time, because of Summerfest craziness, they thought they had a drunk driver on their hands who was flying through red lights and honking the horn with no sign of slowing down.

Nah, just a mom a labor!

After two blocks, the car pulled over, and as the officers approached, they heard a woman moaning in pain. They had no idea what they were in for. Right there near St. Paul and Water Street, a baby was about to be born during the traffic stop. Officer Benitez said:

As I approached, I saw she was actually giving birth. The head was fully crowned and everything. At that point I yelled across to my partner, "We’re having a baby!"

It had to happen right then and there. The traffic from the festival had the streets almost impassable. It was go time. Benitez sprung into action:

I was basically playing the catcher and Isabella (the baby) came out. I immediately tried to clear the airways and remove the umbilical cord. My partner’s assisting, flicking on the feet to get a response.

Awww baby Isabella! Welcome to the world. Hopefully this is the last time you have to be assisted by cops. I'm kidding. I'm sure it is, you sweet baby with the adorable name. The little cutie made the officers' day who said they were "gleaming ear to ear" for being able to deliver a baby and bring a life into the world instead of being in the middle of a crime scene with shooting guns. I bet.

The family is all doing well. What a wild birth story!

Do you ever worry about giving birth in the car on the way to the hospital?

Image via Scott Davidson/Flickr