Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this ok or not? -Animal related-

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:01 AM
  • 9 Replies
On Mother's Day my dh got me a kitten to help with the baby fever I'd been having (lol didn't work still got pregnant with #2) and this kitten has bonded with not only me but our dd. He'll let her grab him and yank out fur and not even flinch or when she eating she'll drop food on the floor for him. He usually sleeps with me curled up against my chest but lately when I go to get my dd to change her and feed her at 3:30 a.m. he's sleeping in her crib on the far end. I've never had a cat before so I'm not sure what this means or even if it's ok. Have any ideas?
CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Koux
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Personally, I would never allow an animal to sleep in bed with my infant. That is just scary to me, you never know what could happen. The cat could accidentally smother her (trying to cuddle), or worse. Take kitty out of the room, and close the door. As far as you go though, it's fine to have a cat while pregnant. Just make sure to have someone else change the litter box, as cats have bacteria in their feces that is dangerous to pregnant women. If you don't have anyone around, use a mask and gloves in a well ventilated area.
TattooedMom104
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:10 AM

My cats done this and I had to keep getting up and getting them out until they learned not to do it. It just doesnt sound safe at all. One of our cats was in bed one day and freaked out bc my husband came in the room, darted across the bed, and left a big bloody scratch on my sons face. Since that happened no.

jenaree
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I don't like cats in the bed because all I can think of is them walking through their own poop. I had two cats when we had our daughter and the hair and litter tracked around got too much for us so we rehomed them when she was about 6 months old, they were good with her it was just too much for me. We took them to my parents horse farm so I still get to see them when we visit.

DesertDuck
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I'd would close the door so that the crib is off-limits. I'm afraid of smothering, but also you don't want to have to clean up any hairballs or cat pee there.

EvrybodysFriend
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 2:45 PM
I don't mind cats sleeping with me but with a baby in the crib would worry me. I was about 16 or 17 when one of our cats was startled in the middle of the night and happened to be sleeping with me and because of her being startled she took off across the bed and me and scratched the heck out of my eye. Well my eyebrow. She was at the foot of my bed too. I have a wonderful scar there now and it gushed blood something fierce when it happened. It was completely accidental but I guess my experience makes me nervous. And I was a teen. Smothering doesn't concern me nearly as much as a freaked out cat with claws.
AmericanChild82
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 12:19 PM
I think most animals do it because of protective instincts. When dd was little my sisters cat used to sleep at the foot of the bassinet and if dd woke up for whatever reason the cat would lick my face or meow until I checked on her. Never once tried to lay on her or scratch her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveOfWisdom
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 12:28 PM
Our cat takes "abuse" from our 7mo. If it bothered her, she'd get up and walk away. She often sleeps with the baby too. If the cat had a different personality, I might be more concerned, but she's fine.
Larsbug
by Laura on Jul. 5, 2013 at 12:28 PM

it's really up to you and how comfortable you are with the animal...we have 5 cats and the only one allowed in the crib with the kids is our 16 year old cat, she is deaf and blind and finds comfort knowing the other animals can't get to her. She senses when DS2 is in the crib with her and she will always move to the other side of the crib when he's in there. My other cats, no...they are allowed under the crib but not in the crib.

Devious103102
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I wouldn't let the cat sleep in the crib. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured