Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Drinking alcohol while pregnant and breastfeeding. . .

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 5:18 PM
  • 73 Replies

Okay so I know the title is weird, but I honestly don't really know what to think. . . There are different views of alcohol and pregnancy, I've been told drinking a cup of wine is healthy during your pregnancy, and drinking a wine cooler wont harm the baby, and that after the baby is born and if your going to breast feed drinking one can of beer while breast feeding is healthy for the baby. I would like different opinions on this matter, because I have heard alot of stuff like that lately. 

by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 5:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DesertDuck
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 5:29 PM
5 moms liked this

Mine's pretty simple: when in doubt, leave it out. I don't see alcohol as something I need, so I'd rather just skip it. I know my OB didn't object to a celebratory glass of champagne at New Year's (I was almost 35 weeks then). I do tend to think that many of the problems associated with alcohol are because of heavy drinking, but I just don't see the need to take a chance. JMO.

mmr520
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I've read in BF manuals that a glass of wine or dark beer will help with let down. I did a google search for us, and here is the best answer I think, http://www.lalecheleague.org/faq/alcohol.html

Dr. Jack Newman, member of the LLLI Health Advisory Council, says this in his handout "More Breastfeeding Myths":

Reasonable alcohol intake should not be discouraged at all. As is the case with most drugs, very little alcohol comes out in the milk. The mother can take some alcohol and continue breastfeeding as she normally does. Prohibiting alcohol is another way we make life unnecessarily restrictive for nursing mothers.
jjchick75
by Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't drink while pregnant but I follow the safe to drive safe to nurse while breastfeeding. I'm not a heavy drink but I will on occassion have a glass of wine. 

LoveOfWisdom
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this
You are going to get different answers. In France women drink a glass of red wine often, some doctors recommend it to help calm and reduce contractions. As for nursing, it's, safe to drive, safe to nurse.
Heather101413
by Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 5:43 PM
Quoting mmr520:

I've read in BF manuals that a glass of wine or dark beer will help with let down. I did a google search for us, and here is the best answer I think, http://www.lalecheleague.org/faq/alcohol.html

Dr. Jack Newman, member of the LLLI Health Advisory Council, says this in his handout "More Breastfeeding Myths":

Reasonable alcohol intake should not be discouraged at all.
As is the case with most drugs, very little alcohol comes out in the
milk. The mother can take some alcohol and continue breastfeeding as she
normally does. Prohibiting alcohol is another way we make life
unnecessarily restrictive for nursing mothers.

My pediatrician recommended a glass of red wine or a dark beer to help with milk production.
LauraBelle9812
by Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 5:52 PM
That is the way I feel... I don't need it so I'm leaving it out... But if I was at a wedding I might have a sip or two of champagne...

Quoting DesertDuck:

Mine's pretty simple: when in doubt, leave it out. I don't see alcohol as something I need, so I'd rather just skip it. I know my OB didn't object to a celebratory glass of champagne at New Year's (I was almost 35 weeks then). I do tend to think that many of the problems associated with alcohol are because of heavy drinking, but I just don't see the need to take a chance. JMO.

Schizomom91
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 5:53 PM
My pedi said if you're sober enough to drive, you're sober enough to bf
xredstarsx
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't drink when pregnant but with nursing I go with safe to drive, safe to nurse. I don't drink often but do have one usually as I'm nursing so it will metabolize before he eats again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jojo_star
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Drinking a glass of wine is healthy, pregnant or not. In moderation, it's fine. I wouldn't during the first trimester, but after that, if you want to some, have some :)

Dontoya
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:12 PM
Ok may i ask u a question how may

Quoting mmr520:

Reasonable alcohol intake should not be discouraged at all.
As is the case with most drugs, very little alcohol comes out in the
milk. The mother can take some alcohol and continue breastfeeding as she
normally does. Prohibiting alcohol is another way we make life
unnecessarily restrictive for nursing mothers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)