Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Work issues!!!

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 5:51 PM
  • 4 Replies

Has anyone tried to reduce their work hours and had a negative outcome?? I asked to go from full-time to part-time and my manager said no!!! She said I cannot go PT without a letter of medical necessity!! I was so furious!! My doc said she cannot give me a note because her only option would be to put me out on bedrest (b/c I have a h/o high blood pressure), which I somehow find to be a bit extreme?? I really need help on how to get my hours cut!!!  I have the most miserable work situation where being pregnant is like having the plague...My clinical social worker/counselor offered to write a letter saying I was under undue stress and needed to cut back, however,i do not know from an HR standpoint if that would be sufficient.

Anybody have experience with this? Any HR mamas out there??

Amanda

by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 5:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
jojo_star
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:16 PM

You can't demand to change your position just because you are pregnant. They have to make concessions, like breaks, being able to eat and drink, etc, but I don't think you can demand that they change your number of hours that drastically. Being pregnant (and healthy) is not a medical reason, as your dr pointed out. I don't think it's fair of you to expect that much special treatment though. If you cut back on hours, someone else will have to increase their hours, or the company will have to hire someone to take on that other part time shift you are going to make them create. 

mmr520
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:24 PM

My HR was great and so was my supervisor. I did need a note though. I was going to use sick/vacation time to cut my work load and to part time but work is 1 hour away from home and hospital so after a discussion I just went on full leave. You Dr should be able to give you whatever kind of note that you request. They shouldn't put any details about your condition in the note (thats patient privacy). So if you want to go part time Dr should write a note recommending a reduction in work hours. Talk to your HR about your situation, what you tell them should be private also. they will be able to give advice and recommendations.

Apologies for grammatical and spelling errors, but I'm in a hurry! TTYL!

Amandalafula
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:01 PM
Ty ladies... Its tricky bc I already have chronic hypertension and severe depression dx for several years now.... When I work, I literally contract most of the day, get bad headaches and even chest pain on occasion. Mostly I think its just stress. Im an operating room nurse, always on my feet, running, lifting way over 30 lbs, exposure to radiation n other teratogenic things. Mgmt has not honored any restructions, I cannot drink or pee unless on my lunch break, so multiple times per week I have to chose between my job and endangering my child or myself. Its a bad situation
NDADanceMom
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:45 PM
I wouldn't get pregnant if i had a job that was so inflexible. I went to part time but i don't get benefits anymore. Dh has them but not as good as mine.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured