Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Advice Needed: Are you more likely to be induced and or have...

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 12:03 AM
  • 18 Replies

Are you more likely to be induced and/or have a c-section if you're a petite mom-to-be?

Taylor Cadie & Baby Anthony Collinsits a boy

CafeMom Tickers

by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 12:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LoveOfWisdom
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 12:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes and no.  Doctors will use this as an excuse, but very rarely is there actually a medical reason.  My sister is 5'0 and slightly under 100lbs (she's TINY), but she had no issue pushing out her 8lb babies!

Wife, Mother of 3, Photographer, DONA Student Birth & Postpartum Doula, Birth Advocate

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Jul. 7, 2013 at 12:08 AM
1 mom liked this

If you're naive and have a scalpel-happy doctor, yes. 

I was a size 00 (and i'm 5'2'' tall) when I got pregnant with my first and was told there was no possible way for me to ever have a vaginal birth because of how narrow my hips and pelvis were. I was told this at 11 weeks with my first- and have since birthed TWO babies OVER 9lbs each

Staying off of your back while pushing, getting good exercise during pregnancy, and being fully informed/educated are key factors in the outcome of your labor&birth. It has very very little to do with your size or shape.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickers
To_the_moon
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 12:14 AM
1 mom liked this
I guess that depends. My aunt is 4"10" and 95 lbs and each of her 3 kids were 10 lbs or a little bit over and because they were so big she had to have a c-section with each. I'm 5"1" and had my daughter vaginally and wasn't induced.
CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 12:15 AM
1 mom liked this

It greatly depend on whether you educate yourself about pregnancy and hospital/ob scare tactics. Do you think every petite woman back in the day just died from child birth? (the answer is no) Your body knows how to make a baby and will not make a baby your unable to birth. Your size has absolutely nothing to do with your delivery ability. But if your not prepared Drs often times will use scare tactics such as size to have an unnessesary c-section, or they will induce before baby is actually ready which often times leads to compications and a c-section in the end anyway!!

If you want to avoid all of that find an OB who believes in the woman's ability to birth, or a midwife!

TaylorCadie4256
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 12:18 AM

My doctor hasn't said much to me whether I can have a natural birth or not ( really want a natural birth). When I first found out I was pregnant I was 5'1 and 85lbs and now I'm still the same height but 113.6lbs with only 1.75 liters of amniotic fluid, no matter the size of the baby I want to have him naturally but how can I tell that a c-section/induction is nescessary?

Taylor Cadie & Baby Anthony Collinsits a boy

CafeMom Tickers

NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 12:28 AM
2 moms liked this

Education....if your Dr suggests an induction or c-section ask why? Then research whatever answer they give you. If its because the feel baby is too big for you tell them you want to try to go natural (They will try to scare you by giving you rediculous risks, which are extremely rare and uncommon) Then when labor does begin dont allow them to stick you in a bed on your back, move around, stay on your feet, or your hands and knees. Laying on your back closes your pelvis making less room for baby to come down. So dont lay in a bed on your back.

If your Dr suggests and induction or c-section for being over due then look at the risks of the induction and c-section vs the risk of letting baby come when he/she is ready. Inductions are extremely hard on you and risk for baby, and csections are mAJOR surgery which can lead to many risky and even deadly complications. A c-section should never be taken lightly.

If your Dr suggests it because of a complication, for example low fluid, etc then you need to research c-section risks and risks of low fluid.

Basically it all comes down to haveing a brain of your own. Dont just assume that because the Drs are Drs that they know it all and are right because ultimately they are just humans making decisions based on money, time, convinance, or educated guesses!! Good Luck hun

Quoting TaylorCadie4256:

My doctor hasn't said much to me whether I can have a natural birth or not ( really want a natural birth). When I first found out I was pregnant I was 5'1 and 85lbs and now I'm still the same height but 113.6lbs with only 1.75 liters of amniotic fluid, no matter the size of the baby I want to have him naturally but how can I tell that a c-section/induction is nescessary?

NDADanceMom
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 4:29 AM
No i don't think so. I'm a large Nordic woman and i think i may get induced because i have blood pressure problems. I don't think size is a valid reason for it though
Gingerbell.RN
by Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 9:01 AM
I have never seen anyone induced or sectioned due to small frame.

Although if baby isn't growing right it is indicative to induce. I do feel we see this more with extremely small women.
goddiddlyumshis
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 9:04 AM
I'm small. 5' and 100lbs.
My first was 8.8lbs

I had 2 emergency c/s with my other 2 due to heart rates dropping and I flatlined. If that never happened I would've birthed a 9.6 and 9.11.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Autumn19
by Ruby Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 11:15 AM

no

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)