Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Anxious about Lab Results

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 3:32 PM
  • 4 Replies

Alright, 

If things were not screwy enough...all these false labor scares and feeling just downright miserable during this third trimester...now I have a new health scare right as I am nearing the finish line. 

I am 37 weeks 2 days, and for the last month or so, I have been suffering from SEVERE itching in my hands, my legs, and now, in recent days, its spreading to my back, and my feet. Doctor is concerned it is ICP, or Intrahepatic Cholestasis of Pregnancy...pretty much not releasing enough bile from my liver, and its backing up the plumbing, causing high bile acids and bile salts. Oh joy! 

Had the blood drawn yesterday and waiting on the lab results to come back...because of course, if they are elevated, they will probably want to induce me since I am conisdered term already. In the mean time, the itching is getting all the worse!! My hands are cracked and torn up from all the itching. It looks like I got into a fight with a bengal tiger! We are having one of the hottest and most humid summers here in So Cal that I can remember, and the one thing they say is "try to stay cool". YEAH RIGHT!! 

Secondly, no Aveeno products..Oh great! That is my body wash, my lotion, my hydrocortizone, my son's lotions are ALL Aveeno because oy vey..they work!! 

Has anyone else ever suffered from this before?? I can't sleep as it is just being almost 38 weeks pregnant, and just to make it all the worse, the itching flares up at night! Does anyone have any suggestions?? 

by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 3:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
babytigergrr
by Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Oh momma I'm so sorry. I just had this with my last pregnancy.  Please talk to your doc about getting on Ursodiol right away, even while waiting for the results.  It controls the excess bile in the blood stream which is causing the itching.  Your test results can take up to 10 business days to come back.  There is nothing you can do to relieve the itching.  I slept with several fans around me in a bra and underwear and only had a sheet to cover myself.  Hang in there!! I hope you get the results back quickly and you will probably need to be induced super soon... I hate to say it, but it is what is best for you and baby.

CafeMom Tickers
Queen3Boys2013
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:04 PM

I asked about the Urosodil and they said they do not want to put me on it at this stage because it takes a while to work, and if I am suffering from this condition, they will just induce me as early as this weekend! At least I can take some comfort in knowing that my son is mature enough to come right now and he would be okay. I will be 38 weeks Sunday. I am literally sleeping the same way..sheets only, two fans on high, and when I do wake up around 2 in the morning, I take a cold shower to get the itching to stop..then back to bed...

It is certainly draining physically...and my hands are so torn up..and finding the little cuts and blisters on the rest of my body is not making me feel any better...I just want it to stop..argh!! 

sparklebug86
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:17 PM

why no aveeno? Ive been using their makeup wipes.... 

Please update us!

HHx5
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:30 PM
Let us know how you are doing. Hope you are better soon!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN