Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Hospital delivery

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:52 PM
  • 16 Replies
For the women that have had OB doctors and given birth at a hospital....
Has your baby come before due date and had to be delivered by the doctor on call that day/night? Or have you been lucky enough that your OB doctor was working that day/night and everything went as planned?
With my daughter I loved my OB doctor and she was not working the morning my daughter decided to come(3 days early from scheduled c-section) I was so dissapointed that it had to be a doctor i never seen before that delivered my baby...the doctor was nice and everything I just wanted the one I was seeing for the entire pregnancy to be there... Ugh!
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Samantha.Stetka
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:53 PM

I was induced so no help there!

BUMP!

Emilytrademark
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:55 PM

That's part of the reason OBs encourage inductions and scheduled births a lot (especially since most spontaneous labors happen at night)... but midwives can come to you whenever your body goes into labor. Just one of the many reasons I recommend midwives!

hot_momma633
by Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:56 PM
I had my OB deliver my oldest but she didn't show up til I was ready to push. the on call Dr was there for most of my labor.
LoveOfWisdom
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:59 PM

2/4 babies I had my regular ob.  With my last, I went in with the doc that was on call, but a few hours later my doctor was the on-call doc.  It's why I make it a point to visit with all the doctors that deliver at least one time, ask for their rotation schedule (this usually never changes and not a big deal to ask) and call before heading in to see who is on call.

Wife, Mother of 3, Photographer, DONA Student Birth & Postpartum Doula, Birth Advocate

tammy_lynne
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:03 PM

I was lucky that my doctor was available when I had my son. She isn't in the office anymore though... And I don't like any of the doctors, I just dislike some a little less than others.

This time I get whoever is on call, I have no decision in the matter.. Unless I have to have a c section or get induced.  

Beautifulmom513
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:05 PM

with my son, my actual OB delivered him. with that dr office, you always got your OB when you went into labor, unless they were already with another patient. as a result I had a lot of my OB appts canceled and rescheduled because almost every single time I had an appt, she was at the hospital doing a delivery. it was kind of annoying. with my daughter, I had a different OB since we had moved. it was a large pratice and the doctors took turns at the hospital. so there was absolutely no guarantee your OB delivered your baby unless it was a c-section or induced. which is why they encourage patients to see a different OB every appt so you can get to know all the doctors. my daughter ended up being induced on a week when my OB was on vacation by another doctor at the practice. 

NotTheirMom99
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:06 PM
For my inductions, it was my OB. For my spontaneous labors, it was whomever was on call.
JessiFaye
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:41 PM

There are 5 OBs in the group I go to, and you rotate between them for your appointments so you know them all. One of them is always going to be the doctor on call for the hospital across the street where they deliver. I love that about their office. 

MrsKaufold1990
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:47 PM

My daughter was 11 days early, but that's because the hospital i was going to knew what was going on the weekend of my due date, and i stressed to them enough that i REFUSED to be at that said event 9 months pregnant. 

but i saw who was on call that night. 

and i will with these twins as well...

kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 2:15 AM
My first was a hospital birth with an ob.

My son was born at 38w2d.

My ob did not deliver my baby, since she was not on call that night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN