Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Sizing Maternity Clothes, buy smart

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:46 PM
  • 15 Replies

For those posts I always see asking about sizing maternity clothes here are a few tips:

- ALWAYS check their sizing chart, you may take a completely different size from one designer to the next

- If they don't have a sizing chart don't order from them

- Check out more than just one or two designers, they differ so much you should shop around

- Always check the clearance section first, you'd be amazed at the low prices for clearance maternity clothes (much lower than regular clothes)

- Remember that maternity clothes are meant to stretch so don't buy too big (despite what your mother tries to tell you, things have changed in 20 - 30 years)

Mommy of two, third one on the way!

My Vlog: www.healthyfitnessmom.com

by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kelly617
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:53 PM
1 mom liked this

My advice...if you can go INTO the store do so..even if what you know you want is only online..at least you can try on a few things and get an idea of whether the stuff they sell tends to run small or big or whatever

Maternity clothing has been a pain in the ass for me...somehow I am actually SMALLER now than before I got pregnant...everything got smaller except my belly so when I order for my pre-preggo size things are too big...it sucks..

Allinaday
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:04 PM

I found that going into the store definitely gave me a good idea of what size I would need.  With my first pregnancy my Mom convinced me to get a size bigger because I was going to get HUGE, but it didn't happen.  Yes my belly grew but the rest of my body didn't gain much.  I ended up getting an idea in the store, like Kelly said, but ordered online because they never seemed to have my size in stock LOL

kelly617
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Yah...everyone is different too
Some people gain ONLY in their belly (like me) and some people gain all over so they actually go up a size
and it also depends on HOW you carry baby...with my first I loved the over the belly pants...this time I freakin HATE them like so much I can't even stand to have them on....no idea why

Quoting Allinaday:

I found that going into the store definitely gave me a good idea of what size I would need.  With my first pregnancy my Mom convinced me to get a size bigger because I was going to get HUGE, but it didn't happen.  Yes my belly grew but the rest of my body didn't gain much.  I ended up getting an idea in the store, like Kelly said, but ordered online because they never seemed to have my size in stock LOL

BabyFetus Ticker

MrsKaufold1990
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:37 PM

i refuse to buy maternity pants.

Allinaday
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:31 PM

I don't buy a bunch of pants, in the thrid tri when the baby is pushing my normal pants down, having two pairs that I can interchange really helps out and makes it more comfortable. Plus they have a lot of maternity pants that don't have the huge top, they look like normal pants with some extra stretch room so I can wear them AFTERWARDS as well.

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

MrsKaufold1990
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:55 PM

i don't buy them at all. 

i'm due in the winter time....

and i'm normally in yoga pants or basketball shorts anyways

Quoting Allinaday:

I don't buy a bunch of pants, in the thrid tri when the baby is pushing my normal pants down, having two pairs that I can interchange really helps out and makes it more comfortable. Plus they have a lot of maternity pants that don't have the huge top, they look like normal pants with some extra stretch room so I can wear them AFTERWARDS as well.

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Allinaday
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 1:09 PM

My first pregnancy I didn't buy ANY maternity and I made it through but was very uncomfartable in my third trimester.  My second one I got a few key items that made life easier.  This time I felt I deserved to be in comfort, and got really comfy clothes.  It made me want to get out more and do more.

Mommy of two, third one on the way!

My Vlog: www.healthyfitnessmom.com

kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Good tips!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeccaCakes83
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 7:11 PM

I totaly agree with those of you that are saying try stuff on in store then order comprable stuff online. I had the hardest time fainding a practical and inexpensive maternity swimsuit for the gym. I ended up trying stuff on in store then ordering my exact color and size online. It was a frustrating process. I learned a lot from it and even decided to document it for other going thought thesame thing: How To Find Flattering Maternity Swimwear Whiles Staying Within a Budget

norahsmommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:16 PM
I'm starting to have this issue. I'm gradually loosing weight but my belly is growing. My maternity clothes are starting to fit in the belly but are loose and getting saggy in other places. It's weird.

Quoting kelly617:

My advice...if you can go INTO the store do so..even if what you know you want is only online..at least you can try on a few things and get an idea of whether the stuff they sell tends to run small or big or whatever

Maternity clothing has been a pain in the ass for me...somehow I am actually SMALLER now than before I got pregnant...everything got smaller except my belly so when I order for my pre-preggo size things are too big...it sucks..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN