Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Severe tailbone pain! RELIEF?? (Desperate and cross-posted in other groups.)

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:18 AM
  • 35 Replies

For the past month and a half, pretty much since baby girl has been head down, I have been experiencing mild to moderate tailbone pain that I could relieve by using my heating pad or from dh massaging me for a few minutes. Ever since about 4 days ago, nothing is helping my tailbone pain! I wake up with severe pain there even after laying on my side the entire night. Heat and massage does not help, and I can't stand up all day to avoid touching the area.

I am not sure of what to do or if I just have to suffer until she comes in approx 6-7 wks. I do not take meds, and I especially do not want to take anything while I'm pregnant. It would be different if I could take a Tylenol and make it go away, but I hurt constantly lately, so that is not really an option. I am assuming since baby girl is so low that the pressure from her head is what is causing this pain. I have never experienced this pain before even while pregnant with my son 6 yrs ago.

I would appreciate any suggestions! Thanks, Megan!

by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WishingAway
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I got a maternity belt it helps a lot.

squeakers2
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this
I dislocated my tailbone with my now 8 month old. When I talked to the dr, the only advice they could give me is chiropractor or pain meds. Tailbone is a difficult place to treat and general census from the internet says pretty much the same thing. Sorry I'm not much help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meg4763
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I have been googling like crazy trying to figure something out, but pretty much I'm out of luck with a remedy.  I think what scares me is one thing I read said that the baby could be facing posterior and could cause the tailbone to break possibly during labor! That sounds frightening since I am going for a vbac anyways!

squeakers2
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 12:01 PM
I didn't break my tailbone in labor, but it did cause horrible back labor, but be prepared. I wasn't able to sit for long periods until about 5 months pp.

Quoting meg4763:

I have been googling like crazy trying to figure something out, but pretty much I'm out of luck with a remedy.  I think what scares me is one thing I read said that the baby could be facing posterior and could cause the tailbone to break possibly during labor! That sounds frightening since I am going for a vbac anyways!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Ruby Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this

There may be some yoga moves or stretches that could help. Have you tried getting on all fours and trying to let your belly drop by spreading your back legs? LOL Crazy to picture, right?

Also, maybe check out spinningbabies.com and see if they have a section about tailbone pain.

meg4763
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 2:59 PM

That stinks....I am like that now unfortunately, and I feel like it is only going to get worse since I still have 6-7 weeks left.  Did you have back labor and regular front labor pain or just the back?

Quoting squeakers2:

I didn't break my tailbone in labor, but it did cause horrible back labor, but be prepared. I wasn't able to sit for long periods until about 5 months pp.

Quoting meg4763:

meg4763
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 3:01 PM

I haven't done yoga in a long time, but I do enjoy it. I love the all fours position, and it does feel great....just can't stay in that position all day, lol, or I would! I will definitely check out the site and see if they address the issue, thanks!

Quoting mem82:

There may be some yoga moves or stretches that could help. Have you tried getting on all fours and trying to let your belly drop by spreading your back legs? LOL Crazy to picture, right?

Also, maybe check out spinningbabies.com and see if they have a section about tailbone pain.

daniellej82
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I am only 5 months pregnant and have been experiencing the same pain along with sciatic nerve pain.  I have been using both the heating pad and an ice pack and just alternating between the two.  I also have my DH massage a couple of times a week.  It hasno't gone away completely but has given me some relief. 

meg4763
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 5:43 PM

I actually had sciatic pain a few weeks ago and thankfully it hasn't come back this week!! Glad you are getting a little relief though! Hopefully I will soon. :)

Quoting daniellej82:

I am only 5 months pregnant and have been experiencing the same pain along with sciatic nerve pain.  I have been using both the heating pad and an ice pack and just alternating between the two.  I also have my DH massage a couple of times a week.  It hasno't gone away completely but has given me some relief. 

squeakers2
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 7:43 PM
I only felt the back pain.

Quoting meg4763:

That stinks....I am like that now unfortunately, and I feel like it is only going to get worse since I still have 6-7 weeks left.  Did you have back labor and regular front labor pain or just the back?

Quoting squeakers2:

Quoting meg4763:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN