Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Question about swelling

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 6:20 PM
  • 17 Replies

It's been 9 years since I have done this baby thing so forgive my naiveness. I am not one to bug my doctor unless I am really concerned, so I am 20 weeks along have been swelling since week 15. It is just getting worse and worse, today I am at work (desk job) I get up and move plenty and my feet are like baloons and achy, it's spreading up my legs my legs feel tight when I step they feel like hey might split open. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tmedwick
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 6:34 PM
I would def call your doctor, he may want to put you on bed rest if you are swelling that bad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveOfWisdom
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 7:36 PM
Agreed. Are you getting plenty of water? How is your sodium intake? Can you use a ball at work to sit on? When you are home put your feet above your heart and use ice packs to help with swelling.

Quoting tmedwick:

I would def call your doctor, he may want to put you on bed rest if you are swelling that bad.
mybabiesmama916
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 7:38 PM

I drink lots of water, I havent had any salt today besides what was in the pot pie I had for lunch. I can't wait to go home and put them up my right leg is going numb now so I e-mailed my doctor. It didn't seem right to me either.

Quoting LoveOfWisdom:

Agreed. Are you getting plenty of water? How is your sodium intake? Can you use a ball at work to sit on? When you are home put your feet above your heart and use ice packs to help with swelling.

Quoting tmedwick:

LoveOfWisdom
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 7:43 PM
Looks at labels for sodium levels. Pot pies normally contain a lot of sodium. It's bad if your leg is going numb. Any other symptoms? Be careful!

You can email your doc?? That's pretty cool!

Quoting mybabiesmama916:

I drink lots of water, I havent had any salt today besides what was in the pot pie I had for lunch. I can't wait to go home and put them up my right leg is going numb now so I e-mailed my doctor. It didn't seem right to me either.

Quoting LoveOfWisdom:

Quoting tmedwick:

mybabiesmama916
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Yea I love it I get all my test results and communication through the e-mail. no other ones that I can think of. I am just going to go home and porp them up and rest.

Quoting LoveOfWisdom:

Looks at labels for sodium levels. Pot pies normally contain a lot of sodium. It's bad if your leg is going numb. Any other symptoms? Be careful!

You can email your doc?? That's pretty cool!

Quoting mybabiesmama916:

Quoting LoveOfWisdom:

Quoting tmedwick:

kraziandkoul
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 8:00 PM

I would definitely call your doctor. It could be high BP... or it could be what I had- renal failure. It might be nothing serious at all, but it COULD be- so check in!

eellison
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 12:06 AM

I hate to say it and worry you, but you need to tell your doctor immediately.  Like, pick up the phone and call the office pronto.  I had preeclampsia with my first pregnancy and the first indication was the huge amount of swelling.  It is a serious condition with a huge increase in blood pressure and horrible swelling.  You may need to be put on bed rest until you deliver.  Other symptoms include frequent headaches and pain in your abdomen.  Once again, I do not want to freak you out, but definitely get it checked.

tinka_pixie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 12:15 AM

You can also eat bananas to lower your sodium absorbtion. the potassium in them flushes out the sodium and when i started doing that i actually lost weight! 1/2-to a whole banana with each meal, and you don't worry as much about the sodium unless its very high in the food item.

mybabiesmama916
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 12:55 AM
she emailed me back and said it's normal justdrink water and elevate them I've had them elevated hours and they aren't changing I have an appointment the 29th so I guess I'll have to pressure her then to check. I do have alot if headaches lately I usually wake up feeling like a have a hang over headache. I'm going to drink nothing but water and eat no salt this weekend and see how it goes.

Quoting eellison:

I hate to say it and worry you, but you need to tell your doctor immediately.  Like, pick up the phone and call the office pronto.  I had preeclampsia with my first pregnancy and the first indication was the huge amount of swelling.  It is a serious condition with a huge increase in blood pressure and horrible swelling.  You may need to be put on bed rest until you deliver.  Other symptoms include frequent headaches and pain in your abdomen.  Once again, I do not want to freak you out, but definitely get it checked.

LoveOfWisdom
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 1:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd go in this weekend or first thing Monday.  Normal swelling should have reduced by now.

Quoting mybabiesmama916:

she emailed me back and said it's normal justdrink water and elevate them I've had them elevated hours and they aren't changing I have an appointment the 29th so I guess I'll have to pressure her then to check. I do have alot if headaches lately I usually wake up feeling like a have a hang over headache. I'm going to drink nothing but water and eat no salt this weekend and see how it goes.

Quoting eellison:

Wife, Mother of 3, Photographer, DONA Student Birth & Postpartum Doula, Birth Advocate

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)