Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

From the depths of hell!

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 10:40 AM
  • 14 Replies
How is it possible to be throwing up food I ate 12+ hours ago? I knew digestion and such slowed down a little during pregnancy but whew!! Is that normal? I know my mother has something wrong with her digestion where food sits in her stomach for days and days. Just wondering if tossing up brownies this long after eating them is typical morning sickness or if its more along the lines of what ever is wrong with my mothers guts.
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Larsbug
by Laura on Jul. 14, 2013 at 10:49 AM

there is really no way to know this until after baby is born really...how far along are you?

esox
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 10:53 AM
7 weeks :)
Chaos1229
by Tasha on Jul. 14, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Hmm Idk I didn't have morning sickness with my son or this one.
LilliesValley
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I'd be more inclined to say whatever is going on is similar to what your mom had. Are you having regular bm and what not? Any pain where something could be stuck so food is piling up with no where to go? I'd tell your ob at your next visit but stomachs do weird things sometimes.

esox
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Great questions! Pretty regular. A little constipation which I also attributed to the pregnancy. No pain. I have an appointment tomorrow. I will bring it up for sure. Thanks for getting me thinking of other questions that could factor in.

Quoting LilliesValley:

I'd be more inclined to say whatever is going on is similar to what your mom had. Are you having regular bm and what not? Any pain where something could be stuck so food is piling up with no where to go? I'd tell your ob at your next visit but stomachs do weird things sometimes.

LilliesValley
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Also remember two things,

1) your digestion slows down when you are pregnant so your body can take advantage of all the vitamins and minerals. so maybe do a stool softener or if you want something more natural do prune or apple juice.

2) Your kidneys are working harder to filter everything including the baby's waste, so drink plenty of water. This will also help with constipation too.

I was very nauseous this time around, so ginger ale and that sort of thing helped, along with saltines. It sucked. But it did eventually pass but I was around 13-14 weeks. Lots of vomiting too, I couldn't eat breakfast or lunch without throwing up, they just went together. But still mention it to your doc and best of luck.

Quoting esox:

Great questions! Pretty regular. A little constipation which I also attributed to the pregnancy. No pain. I have an appointment tomorrow. I will bring it up for sure. Thanks for getting me thinking of other questions that could factor in.

Quoting LilliesValley:

norahsmommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this
There is a condition where food can sit nearly undigested for quite a while. Usually it causes pain and eventually vomiting. I have gallbladder problems and my digestion occasionally comes to a halt and I vomit undigested food( ironically not when pregnant).

Since the pregnancy my digestion has improved a lot though. It could be a medical condition or it could just be hormones slowing stuff down for you. You should talk to your doc. He will most likely say pregnancy caused it but if it continues after that you should get checked.
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Jul. 14, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Not sure. My aunt has some health issues, one of them is where her food doesn't digest unless she takes her medication 20-30mins before eating. 

mem82
by Ruby Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 2:04 PM

I have a very slow digestive tract normally so that wouldn't be unusual for me. I mean, it would be fairly well digested but something like brownie would come up even after a while.

esox
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 2:18 PM
Do you notice a difference in the types of food that do not digest well? Do junk foods seem to come back up undigested more so than fruits and veggies?

Quoting mem82:

I have a very slow digestive tract normally so that wouldn't be unusual for me. I mean, it would be fairly well digested but something like brownie would come up even after a while.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)