Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nervous about pushy doctors

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:05 PM
  • 20 Replies

I'm new to my town. We moved at 20 weeks across the country. So we relied pretty heavily on my husband's co workers and their wives experiences with OBGYN's here. Most of them told me the same place. So we read up on them and seemed likea  pretty great place.

I do like the facility and the hospital where I'll deliver. However my practice does a rotation of doctors for my appointments. They want you to have each doctor so whichever one is on call when you deliver... you'll know them. Problem... I started at 20 weeks. SO i'll see MY doctor once by the time i'm through the rotation. (this didn't occur to me at the first appt). I've had two "scares" and got sent to the women's hospital and had the same doctor both times (she's from my practice) and she was HORRIBLE. Very "too good" for your time, asked me at the very begininng if I had any questions. Of course I had none, because they didn't even know what was going on. When it was all fine... they discharged me and I never saw the doctor again to ask my questions. 

I asked a "friend" what her experience was there and she said she actually switched halfway through to a family doctor because se felt that way too. She said they're very pushy on "you have until this time, then we're doing a c section" those kind of things. I absolutely flat out refuse to be induced with drugs or have a c section unless seriously medically necessary. I'm a FTM, so this is freaking me out to hear these thigns. Anyone have any advice??

by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gumeshoe
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:36 PM

No one can forse you to have a c section. But if you are afraid they will try to bully you, switching may help your peace of mind. My dr was biting his nails because he thought I was 43.5 weeks. I was only 41 weeks BTW. He got over it. BAby is fine and happy.

jojo_star
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 3:24 PM

No one can force you to do anything, you have to give consent. Just make sure you know what you want, and be open and upfront about it. 

funhappymom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:52 AM

How far along are you? I would consider switching if you aren't comfortable now.

LoveOfWisdom
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I'd just switch to another doctor. Midwife an option?

Guruliza
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Go to my site and download the free healthy birth guide. It has a section on switching caregivers. www.birthclassonline.com  Find a local childbirth educator who teaches Bradley Method, Hypnobirthing, Hypnobabies, and ask for them to recommend doctors or midwives who are supportive of the kind of birth you want.

Guruliza
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Also check out www.improvingbirth.org

www.childbirthconnection.org

and www.theunnecesarean.org

alc4evermom
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I understand!!!  I hate group practices and its all we have here.  I was so unimpressed with my doctor I am meeting with a new one on Friday.  Not sure it will be much better.  My boyfriend is going to start attending the appointments with me because he is big and surly, has a deep voice, and a strong Chrisitan backbone.  I felt like the doc I met was a csection doc and she judged me for not using birth control.  Excuse me, I'm thirty and I have a seven year old.  I haven't been popping out babies I can't afford.  I have religious objections to certain things, so they can't really pressure me as far as I'm concerned.

good luck!

mamav2215
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:07 AM
I had a midwife before we moved. more so because our insurance didn't start till 20 weeks. there is a midwife on staff with my office. I'm thinking about calling her. I don't want a home birth. I have 3 crazy dogd and we are renting until we find a house.

I realize I can say no to things.... however I'm also aware that there are times interventions are neccessary and I'm afraid I'm going to be "tricked/bullied" into it if I'm not progressng to some docs liking/they're tired.

I'm nervous to switch because I already have. although I guess I see 7 diff doctors. so what does it matter if I switch.
CelestialSong
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:11 AM

I'd just switch. Find a different doctor or midwife, or even a smaller practice. You can switch as often as you need to to find someone you're comfortable with!

mamav2215
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:06 AM
thanks! I bookmarked these pages last nightv and am going to look atb them today. we have no good resources in my newv town. which is sad, its over 100,000. no bradley instructors close. one lamaze class through my hosoital but its horribly scheduled so trying to switch our summer around to get in the august one.

Quoting Guruliza:

Also check out www.improvingbirth.org

www.childbirthconnection.org

and www.theunnecesarean.org

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured