Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any one else with hypermesis??

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 7:21 PM
  • 16 Replies

I've been beyond sick since like 3 weeks pregnant. I spent almost two weeks bedridden from constant puking and nausea. Calling it "morning sickness" felt like an insult to me. When people suggested ginger or prego  pops I wanted to cry wishing it were that simple. Finally i was diagnosed with hypermesis gravidarum and although I still throw up pretty much every day I am feeling a lot better. At one point just sipping on water sent my body into convulsions. When my stomach was empty and I had nothing to throw up I would heave and gag. Ugh!!! It's been a nightmare. I've had to go to the hospital for IV fluids from dehydration.  I feel like im missing out on enjoying life with my family because I'm too sick to do anything. Although I normally prefer natural medicine, I take zofran several times a day so I can function and promethazine at night so I can sleep. Before the promethazine I was waking up every night at 3 am drowning in nausea and often couldn't fall back to sleep. I am surprised my body is able to grow two babies on how little I am eating. I am sure I have lost weight. Often I feel frail and week and exhausted. I miss eating. I've found little tricks that help me although every day is a struggle. Ice water with lemon through a straw helps me keep water down. Simple foods like rice, avocado, fruits and veggies are my saving grace. My body completely rejects meats and dairy and foods that have an odor.... I normally love eggs. We raise organic free range chickens and one day my husband made eggs for breakfast... I couldn't get the smell out of my head for days.. I am completely repulsed by them now. One of the hardest part of this experience is how lonely it feels. People don't seem to understand unless they've experienced it. I've cried a lot recently. I want to enjoy my pregnancy and eat good foods and have a pregnant glow but for me every day is a struggle just to get through. Thanks for letting me vent. Anyone else going through this who can relate? Feeling desperately isolated today. :(

by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 7:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Chaos1229
by Tasha on Jul. 15, 2013 at 7:24 PM
I'm sorry I can't begin to imagine what you are going through
Jaime_707
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Thanks I appreciate the kind words. I feel like my family doesn't understand just how sick I am. The only thing I can compare it to is having food poisoning and motion sickness at the same time but unrelenting all day all night for months with no end in sight. I'm starting to become depressed from it. :(

mommy2casidee
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:44 PM
I'm carrying twin and suffered too from 5-17 weeks. I hope it eases up soon for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jazzy411
by Jazmyne Lee on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:54 PM
I.am suffering with it too. In fact today it was so bad I called Dh to take me to urgent care because it caused sever vertigo. I passed out while we were checking in. they gave me fluids and bed rest. I just don't know how to tell work. Even though I was always throwing up, I still went. This sucks. I understand completely!
Jaime_707
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:58 PM
Thank you! How far along are you now? I'm almost ten weeks with twins but I've been sick since week three.

Quoting mommy2casidee:

I'm carrying twin and suffered too from 5-17 weeks. I hope it eases up soon for you.

hopeym23
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:03 PM

With my first baby I had hyperemesis.  It was hell.  I had to have I.V. fluids too.  Zofran helped but it was still bad.  I feel your pain.

Jaime_707
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:04 PM
I'm sorry that you are going through it but it is actually really nice to meet someone else who understands. I went to urgent care last week for IV fluids. They gave me three bags and I was still dehydrated. I guess I'm lucky in that I don't have to go to work but I do have two children at home to take care of which is so hard feeling this sick. How far along are you? If you ever need someone to vent to feel free to message me. I've found having hypermesis is a lonely condition.

Quoting jazzy411:

I.am suffering with it too. In fact today it was so bad I called Dh to take me to urgent care because it caused sever vertigo. I passed out while we were checking in. they gave me fluids and bed rest. I just don't know how to tell work. Even though I was always throwing up, I still went. This sucks. I understand completely!

mommy2casidee
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:05 PM
I'm 21 1/2 weeks now, the beginning was very rough but I haven't thrown up or been nauseous since 18 weeks. Hang in there I know how hard it is :(

Quoting Jaime_707:

Thank you! How far along are you now? I'm almost ten weeks with twins but I've been sick since week three.

Quoting mommy2casidee:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jazzy411
by Jazmyne Lee on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:10 PM
I am almost 11 Weeks with twins.

Quoting Jaime_707:

I'm sorry that you are going through it but it is actually really nice to meet someone else who understands. I went to urgent care last week for IV fluids. They gave me three bags and I was still dehydrated. I guess I'm lucky in that I don't have to go to work but I do have two children at home to take care of which is so hard feeling this sick. How far along are you? If you ever need someone to vent to feel free to message me. I've found having hypermesis is a lonely condition.

Quoting jazzy411:

Jaime_707
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Yeah for me zofran takes the edge off but it wares quickly. I'm grateful for it though without it I would be unable to functio.

Quoting hopeym23:

With my first baby I had hyperemesis.  It was hell.  I had to have I.V. fluids too.  Zofran helped but it was still bad.  I feel your pain.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured