Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

I'm terrified of a C Section! Advice???

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 8:29 PM
  • 52 Replies

Okay so I have polyhydramnios (high fluid) and gestational diabetes and supposedly a 9+ pound baby. They have a C-section scheduled on Wednesday (the day I hit 37 weeks) and I've had to VB's before but never a c sec. I was thinking "no big deal I've had 3 abdominal surgeries before how bad could it be" and now my friend (who's had a c sec) is telling me that it's nothing like a laproscopic procedure and it's the worst thing ever! Now I'm terrified and my mind is racing. I had just always assumed that the pain from a larger incision was comparable to the pain from having your abdomen inflated with CO2 and bruising your diaphram. Is a c section really that bad? I'm afraid to throw up because when I do it all comes out my nose and my friend is saying everyone throws up from them tugging around. Idk what to believe but now I'm due to have one in less than 2 days and I'm really scared. I heard the recovery is absolutely horrible too. Please if you've had a c section can you tell me how it went? Did you throw up? Did it hurt like hell afterwards? How long was your recovery?

by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 8:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MaNdYbEaR2010
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 8:30 PM
2 moms liked this
What the hell? Get a second opinion.

And I've had two. Hated them both and recovery sucked ass.
Bhayes1113
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Mine went fine. I didn't throw up, I was sleeping while they did it (not from medicine, I was tired from being up for 48 hours), and the day I got home from the hospital I was up cleaning house and doing laundry. I only got really sore if I sat to long. It was a piece of cake for me.

KPJ
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 8:39 PM
First off.. NOT everyone throws up... I didn't! I have an scheduled c-section for next month on the 28th.. This will be my second baby born via c-section... I can honestly tell you.. What sucks about having a c-section is just recovery...it's long and painful.. But nothing that painkillers can't handle.. I seriously don't get why women make such a big damn deal about a c-section...
Anyways.. Good luck and trust me there's is nothing to be afraid of.
jbjb1024
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 8:41 PM
I had one and mine went great. I took it easy when I got home because I had heard horror stories. But the procedure and healing was just fine.

But it all depends on the Dr who does it
LoveOfWisdom
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 8:51 PM
Don't listen to your friend. You can have more pain then from a laparoscopic procedure and it will take much longer to heal, but it all depends on the individual and their pain tolerance. I didn't throw up during mine. I am not very happy about what lead to my c/s but the c/s itself wasn't a bad experience. Move as soon as you're allowed. Ask what their procedure is for after baby is born. Take your gas pills. Keep your incision clean and dry. Take as much help that is offered for when you go home.
littlemoments99
by Ruby Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 8:53 PM

I have never had a c-section (this is my first baby and I'm only 28 weeks) but both my mom and cousin have. Neither of them threw up and they were both awake for the surgery. 

My mom hated recovery because she said it hurt really bad to walk and she was on pain medicine for awhile. My cousin seemed fine. I saw her I believe three days after she had the baby. She was up and moving around (in the hospital) and she said she was feeling fine, not 100%, but fine. 

I wish you the best of luck!! 

LoveOfWisdom
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Oh an go over what kind of incision they make on the uterus. Vertical or horizontal. This will play a role in future deliveries and if you would be able to vbac or not.
HKing01
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 8:54 PM
I've had 3 c-sections. Everyone is different but they weren't all that bad for me. I threw up after my first c-section but I believe it was from pain meds on an empty stomach and it was at least an hour after the procedure. After my last one I was up and slowly walking around that night, they even let me go home early. To me the worst thing about it is not getting to hold my baby right away.
mmr520
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 8:55 PM
I had a wonderful experience. No pain, thankyou meds, no tossing cookies. Recovery was long but not that bad. Your friend should be supportive of you.
LoveOfWisdom
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Also, I you plan to nurse, know that it's very likely that baby will be sleepy so don't allow staff to push you to nurse or use formula. Baby will be ok.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN