Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Exercise

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:11 AM
  • 7 Replies
How important is it to keep the heart rate at 140 or lower? I was at the gym yesterday on the elliptical, and even at a slow pace and low level, my hr kept creeping up to 145-150. I would slow down more, and it would drop, but I didn't feel like I had a very good workout. I love working out, but I don't want to do any damage to baby either. I am 15 weeks as of yesterday.
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
lifeglow
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:13 AM
I have never even heard of that before! Talk to your doctor and mabe do some research on it?? I had no idea about this lol
lovebugs_mom906
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:16 AM
At my first appointment, I asked about exercise and he said it was fine, just to keep the heart rate at 140. I never thought it would be so hard to keep it there lol. I have an appointment next week, and I'll bring it up then. I was just trying to find answers before then.

Quoting lifeglow:

I have never even heard of that before! Talk to your doctor and mabe do some research on it?? I had no idea about this lol
lifeglow
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:37 AM
At 140?? Oh ok that makes sence now, sorry i had a brain freeze there for a sec lol. Yea you think it would be easier to keep it there. I hope mine doesnt get higher than that when i go for walks....

Quoting lovebugs_mom906:

At my first appointment, I asked about exercise and he said it was fine, just to keep the heart rate at 140. I never thought it would be so hard to keep it there lol. I have an appointment next week, and I'll bring it up then. I was just trying to find answers before then.

Quoting lifeglow:

Guruliza
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I've been a fitness instructor for 25 years and a yoga teacher for 10. If your pre-pregnancy workout was intense and your body is used to getting your heart rate up, then your body is able to cool itself and bring your heart rate down quickly. The concern is overheating and not being able to recover your resting heart rate.

Bottom line is to listen to your body. Rest if you feel the need,   work hard if you feel up to it.  If you are familiar with perceived exertion, use that scale in addition to monitoring your heart rate. When I was pregnant 20 and 15 years ago, I was a fitness instructor and all day I hiked, taught aerobics, and got my heart rate way up routinely, but that was normal for me. My kids are just perfect.

Make sure you hydrate 8 oz water per 15 minutes of cardio. And get 80-100 grams of protein daily. Get a free healthy birth booklet at my website www.birthclassonline.com and read about pregancy nutrition and exercise. Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy.

lovebugs_mom906
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Thank you for this! The information I was reading on line basically said the 140 hr rule is old school thinking and not accurate.

Quoting Guruliza:

I've been a fitness instructor for 25 years and a yoga teacher for 10. If your pre-pregnancy workout was intense and your body is used to getting your heart rate up, then your body is able to cool itself and bring your heart rate down quickly. The concern is overheating and not being able to recover your resting heart rate.

Bottom line is to listen to your body. Rest if you feel the need,   work hard if you feel up to it.  If you are familiar with perceived exertion, use that scale in addition to monitoring your heart rate. When I was pregnant 20 and 15 years ago, I was a fitness instructor and all day I hiked, taught aerobics, and got my heart rate way up routinely, but that was normal for me. My kids are just perfect.

Make sure you hydrate 8 oz water per 15 minutes of cardio. And get 80-100 grams of protein daily. Get a free healthy birth booklet at my website www.birthclassonline.com and read about pregancy nutrition and exercise. Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy.

BeFit-Mom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Restrictions on HR for pregnant women were dropped back in 2002. It is now recommended that women use perceived exertion instead, and always stay in a cardio zone that they feel is "somewhat" difficult.

BeFit-Mom

Allinaday
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I have never heard that before either. My doctor always told me that if you were used to doing it before pregnancy, that it's ok to keep doing it throughout your pregnancy so long as you don't feel pain. Maybe you should ask your doctor if there is some medical risk for yourself.  She might have seen something in your BP or tests results that made her advise that.

Mommy of two, third one on the way!

www.healthyfitnessmom.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)