Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

doulas and insurance

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:50 PM
  • 9 Replies
I really think insurance companies should cover the cost. I want to deliver without pain meds and I think having that support will help me achieve that. In comparison the cost of a doula is much less then an epi. What do you think?
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
hello_kitty25
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:52 PM
They should, and birth centers. I know some cover a tiny bit but not like a hospital, which is odd because they would save money.
yperez0209
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Doesn't make sense. I've looked into the cost of a doula and it's about 800. We can't hire one because with my husband's insurance we have to pay about 4k for the delivery.

Quoting hello_kitty25:

They should, and birth centers. I know some cover a tiny bit but not like a hospital, which is odd because they would save money.
hello_kitty25
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Quoting yperez0209:

Doesn't make sense. I've looked into the cost of a doula and it's about 800. We can't hire one because with my husband's insurance we have to pay about 4k for the delivery.

Quoting hello_kitty25:

Well if you use a midwife it could be cheaper because shes a doula and delivery :) i paid $1800 for my dd midwife, and for my son my doula (at hospital) was $750 but she deserved more, she really helped me

CB3arr
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Our doula only charged $400.  We gave her $500 because she was such a big help.

yperez0209
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:52 PM
Everyone tells me the same thing, how helpful they are.

Quoting CB3arr:

Our doula only charged $400.  We gave her $500 because she was such a big help.

To_the_moon
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:11 PM
I don't see why a dola wouldn't be covered by your insurance but I'd call them and ask just to be on the safe side.
CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
MamaSarah1104
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:15 PM
Personally I don't see why a doula would be covered by insurance. I mean its like asking for your husband to be paid because he helped you manage the pain during labor. Not that Doulas are bad, but it makes sense to me that they aren't covered.
yperez0209
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:36 PM
I already did.

Quoting To_the_moon:

I don't see why a dola wouldn't be covered by your insurance but I'd call them and ask just to be on the safe side.
yperez0209
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Because if a woman wants to attempt a natural labor that extra support might do the trick. And epi are a big expense for ins companies. I think woman should have the choice to have a doula included in her birth plan and be covered if it means her being able to labor drug free. And hubbies aren't trained like they are.

Quoting MamaSarah1104:

Personally I don't see why a doula would be covered by insurance. I mean its like asking for your husband to be paid because he helped you manage the pain during labor. Not that Doulas are bad, but it makes sense to me that they aren't covered.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)