Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

? for the uninsured...

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:00 PM
  • 11 Replies
I currently have no insurance and I just made my first prenatal appointment. Unless I just misunderstood the lady on the phone and I don't think I did, I was told I would need $691 up front. I'm just curious, if there are any other uninsured ladies out there, is this an insane amount of money for one visit and how much did it cost you for your first visit? The doctors in my area (and I haven't found very many) seem to be very busy. The first one I called is no longer taking new patients. The second one I called can't take new patients until August 7 which is when I scheduled my appointment. I will be around 9 weeks pregnant by then.
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Chaos1229
by Tasha on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:03 PM
They told me when I went to deliver my son that it would be $7000 up front. I ended up getting medical before that thankfully.
Clemency3
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:05 PM

That is a little less than my local OB asked for up front. So I decided to look into a midwife and they wanted 150 up front and then 100 at every other appointment after that. 

However, I just learned that my income level qualifies for state assistance. They raise the income level for pregnant women so I would look into that. While I am only paying 100 at my OB visits I am getting high charges from Quest Diagnositics for all my blood work done as well as high costs for my 2 ultrasounds. In the end I will have to pay a minimum of 2200 by 32 wks in order to pay my midwife off. which means a HUGE chunk later on rather than up front. The other problem with this is the fee for the hospital..they required 5,125 dollars up front a month before my due date in order for me to give birth there. 

With all that said..apply for state assistance because without it or without insurance you will be paying way too much. And let me tell you pregnancy qualifies for a pre-existing condition and most insurances will not accept you. GL!

CafeMom Tickers
esox
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:09 PM

That does seem rediculously high, before I picked up insurance I was paying 120$ per visit. Did that price include all of the blood work? I would maybe ask for a detailed itemized bill to see where all that money is going. 

mkmommy0406
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:11 PM
I have Humana and was told by a representative there that pregnancy is no longer considered a preexisting condition. Hope you can find something!! Our overall statement from insurance said they were presented with $16,000 worth of charges! Including prenatal care. I did not have a c-section and left the hospital 24 hours after delivery
comptonkids
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:12 PM

i qualified for state assistance

my first appt is aug 14, ill be...19.5 weeks

HKing01
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Unfortunately I will most likely be having another c-section, I have already had 3. I am really hoping DH gets this job he's trying to get, it has great benefits.

LoveOfWisdom
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:19 PM
Sounds like a "deposit" of sorts. If look into state insurance until you and dh are able to get some private.
DACIA79
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Have you applied for state insurance either way there lots of places that do sliding fee scales if needed.

I have insurance but I always see signs of where pregnant women can go for help,
5tyli5hLensT
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:09 PM

That seems high!! We have a pregnancy center here and you pay based on your income so I in the end labs and u/s and doc visits Ill be paying 1200.

Katkinson
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Get insurance!!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)