Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No lunch meat?

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:03 PM
  • 70 Replies

I was just told that you cant eat lunch meat while pregnant unless its heated first...

I make myself turkey and cheese sandwiches at least 3 times a week for lunch at work and I'm 19 weeks 3 days. Could I have harmed the baby? I had no idea that I couldnt.

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marissabrookee
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:34 PM
bump!
H.Perales
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:39 PM

They say not to, but I honestly didn't know that until I was like 5 months pregnant. Though, baby girl is perfectly healthy. 

http://www.babycenter.com/406_is-it-safe-to-eat-deli-meats-when-im-pregnant_1246923.bc

BrittBratt
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:39 PM
I eat it, UNheated. I've had 6 pregnancies, 7 babies total, and they were are all healthy ( this baby included)...

I'm 12+5 with #7 and am on a turkey/cheese/tomato/lettuce/Dijon kick the last week! My severe nausea is finally easing up a little but I still can't stomach most food. The risk is SO small. I'm not going to obsess over lunch meat, with all of the other things I could be worrying about :) :)
WishingAway
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:39 PM
My dr says no not even heated.. But a lot of ladies do. Ask your Dr his opinion if your worried.
NatyRod
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:47 PM
They attribute it to listeria (a bacteria found in contained food).. Could be found in deli meat, hot dogs, unpasturized milk and cheeses, etc.
Many say the risk of getting it is very very small and most women continue eating their deli meats thought pregnancy... I'm one of them. I try to "heat" them (subway or Quiznos oven) but sometimes I don't.
Chances are u are just fine.
MrsKaufold1990
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:51 PM

no you can't. 

they don't recommend it. 

but i just met with a diabetic counselor today, and she said that most of the time, the stuff has been processed so many times that whatever is in there has been taken care of.

i eat subway at least twice a week.

babyfish0511
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I ate lunch meat all the time when I was prego w DD. Subway was my fave place to eat! I had no idea I wasn't suppose to eat it wo it being heated but DD came out perfectly healthy. With this pregnancy I still eat lunch meat but I do heat it up just to be on the safe side. 

TheyAreMyLoves
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:18 PM
I know the risk is small but food poisoning so bad that it could harm my baby and give me meningitis isn't worth it for a turkey sandwich, IMO.

MrsKaufold1990
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:29 PM

your case is a bit different. 

if you are a healthy person and having a pretty healthy/normal pregnancy lunchmeant is fine. 

Quoting TheyAreMyLoves:

I know the risk is small but food poisoning so bad that it could harm my baby and give me meningitis isn't worth it for a turkey sandwich, IMO.

TheyAreMyLoves
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Huh? From what I've read that is the small risk for anyone who is pregnant and contacts listeria.
I don't have any additional problems.

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

your case is a bit different. 

if you are a healthy person and having a pretty healthy/normal pregnancy lunchmeant is fine. 

Quoting TheyAreMyLoves:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)