Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tests are negative with FMU but positive in the afternoon/evening. Why would this happen?

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:28 PM
  • 10 Replies

Some of you who saw my other posts already know my situation but here it is for the ones who don't know... I had a baby exactly 7 weeks ago today. I took a pregnancy test at 5 weeks PP because I was feeling "off" and having some weird CM. It was positive. Kind of faint but clearly positive. Went that day for a blood test and the blood test was negative.

Well, here I am 2 weeks later and still getting faint positive HPTs. Just took one about an hour ago and it's positive. Faint but definitely positive. This whole time I haven't really been sure if they are + because there is still leftover HCG in my system, new pregnancy, or the rare chance there could be leftover placenta tissue that didn't come out. I read that can cause a + HPT. So I have been taking the 88 cent cheapie tests a couple times a week, thinking that if it is leftover HCG they will eventually turn negative.

Here is the weird thing... whenever I test with FMU, it is ALWAYS negative. But if I test in the afternoon or evening, it's always positive. Wth...? I am calling the doctor's office in the morning. They told me to come back in a month if I still hadn't started my period. Well, it's only been 2 weeks but I wanna know what the heck is going on NOW.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WishingAway
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Yeah I would call the doctor.
MrsKaufold1990
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:53 PM

then you should call your doctor. 

Mom2five87
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

then you should call your doctor. 

Yeah. I'm gonna call them tomorrow and see if I can get in.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Mom2five87
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Bump
Avetay
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:09 PM
I would call the dr
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Avetay
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:09 PM
I would call the dr
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Jul. 17, 2013 at 4:32 AM

Usually, the hcg would be out of your system about a month after having a baby. The tests are likely positive in the afternoon because that is when you have built up enough hcg. If you pee a lot in the night, it wouldn't be built up in the morning. Ask your doctor what kind of blood test they did. One kind tests how much hcg is in your system and will show negative if it is under a certain amount. The other just tests for the presence of hcg at all, if I understand correctly.

amy31308
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:02 AM
Omg girl! Good luck!
mommyziegler
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:52 AM
It's from just having the baby!! After I have birth I got positive tests for almost 3 months! Wait a month and then test again
meam4444
by Emerald Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I agree with seeing your dr. again.  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)