Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Have you been through this? Can't find heartbeat, 12 weeks

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:00 AM
  • 30 Replies

I had a dating ultrasound at 10 weeks, and the heart was visible on the U/S equipment, and nice and strong.  Yesterday at my reg. appointment, they tried to find it with the doppler and they could not.   Doc wants me to come back tomorrow and then will send me for U/S if they can't find the beat then. . . is this normal?  I have had two other pregnancies, both times I had no issues like this. . . just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaSarah1104
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:02 AM
2 moms liked this
If it was just with a Doppler I wouldn't stress about it too much. With my son at 11 weeks they couldn't get it with a Doppler. With this pregnancy they couldn't get it at 16 weeks because of an anterior placenta. I'll be 38 weeks tomorrow and baby is looking good. :-)
Katkinson
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Yes, they got the beat with the U/S.  160 or something like that.  The tech said nice and strong.  We saw it fluttering away. 

I was just concerned and thought something had happened between now and then.  I did some research online, and some said they could hear with doppler at 7 weeks, and some said not until later. . . I guess I'll find out tomorrow!!!! 

The doc said I was going straight to u/s after my appointment if they couldn't hear it.  I was actually 1 day shy of 12 weeks, but close enough. . .

Quoting MamaSarah1104:

If it was just with a Doppler I wouldn't stress about it too much. With my son at 11 weeks they couldn't get it with a Doppler. With this pregnancy they couldn't get it at 16 weeks because of an anterior placenta. I'll be 38 weeks tomorrow and baby is looking good. :-)

Schizomom91
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:07 AM
They didn't even try with a doppler until 16 weeks for me
SimplyEnchanted
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this
I had no heartbeat at 12 weeeks with this baby on doppler. They found baby via transvaginal us because couldn't find baby during US...I was getting nervous! Found out she was hiding way down next to my spine due to a severely tilted uterus! I am 32 weeks today! Good luck, mama!
livingforthem83
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:12 AM
I hate to even say it, but that's what happened to me with my miscarriage. I went in for my 12 week appointment and they couldn't find the heartbeat. So my doctor sent me in for an ultrasound and my baby had passed.
Katkinson
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Thank you for the replies. 

I am concerned, but I think it may be ok. . . I am a little overweight and I read that can affect whether or not you can successfully hear the beat. 

I kind of go back and forth, but I'm just trying to stay calm.  Deep down I think it's alright though. 

Regardless I guess I'll have to mentally prepare for anything.  What is meant to be will be <3

CelestialSong
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Totally normal. My midwife couldn't find my baby's HB on doppler until 14 weeks, and even then it was just a quick flutter for a second before baby scooted away, and she couldn't find it again. That was the only time I have heard this baby's heartbeat (although I saw it on u/s at 18 weeks), and I'm 22 weeks now. A lot of things can affect how easy/difficult it is to hear the heartbeat - where baby is positioned, location of your placenta, whether your uterus is tilted (mine is), whether your baby stays put or flees from the doppler (like mine did). It's not something to worry about :)

rjmac88
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:39 AM
We couldn't get one until after 16 weeks with this baby.
mrsbrown_91
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:55 AM

they weren't able to find my son's heartbeat until i was 15 weeks along on a doppler. i would say it's normal because the baby is just too small right now.

lillucky8
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:08 AM

its early still, the baby could be snuggled in the way back or something, i wouldn't stress it too much, although im not sure i could sit and wait til tomorrow for an ultrasound, i'd probably call back and cry and demand one today

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN