Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Newbie needs help from some experienced mamas..

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 8:07 PM
  • 10 Replies

I went thru all the clothes we have for our baby girl today and am no where near as prepared as I'd thougt...we're on a tight budget so I can't afford to go crazy buying clothes so I'm just wondering how much we should get of each size!?

thanks in advance. 

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 8:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jacsmama022
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 8:10 PM
My advice would be focus on newborn to 3mo. Worry about the bigger clothes later. And you won't need as much as you think either!
HKing01
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 8:14 PM
Quoting jacsmama022:

My advice would be focus on newborn to 3mo. Worry about the bigger clothes later. And you won't need as much as you think either!
I agree. Also I have found some of the cutest name brand baby clothes at thrift stores that were like new.
GwenMB
by Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 8:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree, focus on the smaller sizes - 0-3 months and get the rest later.  You also don't know how fast she'll grow & when she'll need certain sizes so may buy the wrong season if you buy now.

Shop at garage sales/thrift stores/consignment shops - you're money goes a lot further.

For your 0-3 clothes, I might get one or two more pairs of pants and maybe more sleepers.  They can live in sleepers at that age - and you can do laundry if needed.

jacsmama022
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 8:17 PM
Yes! I actually bought two pretty big bags of baby clothes newborn to 3mo from a woman on craigslist for like $25.

Quoting HKing01:

Quoting jacsmama022:

I agree. Also I have found some of the cutest name brand baby clothes at thrift stores that were like new.

GwenMB
by Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I take back what I said about the 0-3 size now that I see you also have some 3 month clothes.  THose aren't any bigger than the 0-3, really, and can fill in any "holes".  I think you're fine until you get to the 3-6 month size - and then you'll have a much better idea what you like & how fast she goes through stuff.

DACIA79
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 8:23 PM
I focus on 3 months and 3-6 months. I suggest very little in newborn some babies are great in newborn if there small and short but rarely does it last pass a month. If your baby is anywhere close to 7 pounds or over I wouldn't even bother with newborn.

And for budget shopping baby depot at Burlington coat factory is awesome.
Allinaday
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 8:40 PM

I found tgat with my kids I used the newborn stuff very little. I would n;t buy too many of those. I used the 3mon and 3-6 month ones much more.  You only use newborn stuff for a few weeks and they are out of them, so have some that are easy to wash and rotate them.  SInce they are so small they are easy to hand wash and hang to dry everyday. 

I wouldn't buy too many of ANY clothes until yo have an idea of what you will be needing.  Some babies spit up and leak in their diapers all the time. Personally my babies hardly ever spit up, so I didn't have to change their clothes as much as some of my friends did.  Just get your basic needs ad buy more as you need them.

Mommy of two, third on the way!

www.parent2u.com

MichelleH86
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 8:44 PM
Make sure you have a few packs of the plain newborn onesies.. my girls lived in nothing but those the first few months and they are cheap! Good luck mama!
mewebb82
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 8:48 PM
The 3 month size is generally the same as 0-3 months and the 6 month the same as 3-6 month and so on, so you are actually doing pretty good. I agree with pps who said focus on the smaller sizes. Shop clearance and buy a little as you go in the next few sizes up. That's what I've done with all 3 of my kids and it really kept the expense down.
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 6:14 PM
I agree

Quoting jacsmama022:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)