Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Any advice? Am I the only one who's gone through this?

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 8:02 AM
  • 11 Replies
Ok, first let me start with a brief history. I have had two vaginal births, both precipitous. With my first, I was induced at 39wks 3 days. With my second, I was 42wks exactly. I had multiple peak contractions lasting over 30 seconds, with less than 5 seconds in between. I also have a history of sexual assault. When I was in labor with my second, my labor was so fast and intense that I was having flashbacks of my rape for the last hour or so and could not get the mans face out of my head. They rushed an anesthesiologist in, but by the time she got my back prepped and told me to stay perfectly still for 30 seconds, he was in the birth canal and I had to push. He was born three pushes later, and once I touched his head I was able to pull myself into the moment and deliver him. Now, I am 37 weeks into my 3rd pregnancy, and they have decided to induce me at 39 weeks. I am terrified that I may have another birth experience like the last one. Is there anything that could be done to prevent this, or to slow labor down a bit? Has anyone else had flashbacks or very fast labors, and how did you cope with the emotions and physical pain?
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 8:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Autumn19
by Ruby Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 8:14 AM
talk to your dr about it. And im sorry but you cannot slow labor down.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 6:23 PM
I'm sorry you went through that.

I would talk to your dr for sure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Allisonc7910
by Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:03 PM
If they are inducing its likely you will have a slower labor, get the epi at 4 cm not a cm more.
LoveOfWisdom
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Have you looked into a doula that has worked with women of sexual assault? What labor coping techniques have you used or plan on using? Do you think having an epidural will help? Many women experience past traumas during transition, you are not alone.
iluvmy3babies2
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 11:49 PM
That's reassuring, because I had heard rumor that pitocin speeds up labor

Quoting Allisonc7910:

If they are inducing its likely you will have a slower labor, get the epi at 4 cm not a cm more.

iluvmy3babies2
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 11:56 PM
I had no idea this could happen, before this happened to me. I had PPD months later as I felt kind of ashamed, and upset that this was now a big part of the memory of this labor experience. I had been changing positions, used the tub, tried to go elsewhere in my mind. But when the flashbacks started and the pain was so fast, intense, relentless, there was nothing that would bring ease until I touched his head coming out. Then I could tell myself this is my baby, I'm safe. I'm not sure what to think about the epidural, I've never had one and it is entirely new to me.

Quoting LoveOfWisdom:

Have you looked into a doula that has worked with women of sexual assault? What labor coping techniques have you used or plan on using? Do you think having an epidural will help? Many women experience past traumas during transition, you are not alone.

LoveOfWisdom
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Have you sought therapy for your trauma?  While I love my natural births, the epi may just allow you that calmness that you need to enjoy your birth experience.  Did you talk with your OB about your last labor?

Quoting iluvmy3babies2:

I had no idea this could happen, before this happened to me. I had PPD months later as I felt kind of ashamed, and upset that this was now a big part of the memory of this labor experience. I had been changing positions, used the tub, tried to go elsewhere in my mind. But when the flashbacks started and the pain was so fast, intense, relentless, there was nothing that would bring ease until I touched his head coming out. Then I could tell myself this is my baby, I'm safe. I'm not sure what to think about the epidural, I've never had one and it is entirely new to me.

Quoting LoveOfWisdom:

Wife, Mother of 3, Birth Mom of 1, Photographer, DONA Student Birth & Postpartum Doula, Birth Advocate

LoveOfWisdom
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Or have you talked with other women that have been raped?

Allisonc7910
by Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:05 AM
But it's not like natural labor. It takes longer I thought to artificially get things going.

Quoting iluvmy3babies2:

Quoting Allisonc7910:

LoveOfWisdom
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:08 AM

It all depends on where mom has naturally progressed to, method of induction,  and what number baby it is.  First time moms usually take longer, but not always.  Some can take 24+ hours, others will have baby in 4hrs.

Quoting Allisonc7910:

But it's not like natural labor. It takes longer I thought to artificially get things going.

Quoting iluvmy3babies2:

Quoting Allisonc7910:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)