Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

being induced Sunday, what should i expect? EDIT TO ADD

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:21 PM
  • 29 Replies
So before the bashing begins, yes its for medical reasons. And between my OB, my maternal and fetal medicine Dr, and my endocrinologist, we have made the decision baby and I are safer with him out. I'll be 39 weeks and 2 days.

Ok, so my question is, what should I expect? I have never been induced before. And I'm still hoping he will come before then. But just in case... What usually happens? My OB mentioned a pill or something that softens my cervix? Ugh that could be wrong, I was delaing with 3 screaming kids at my apt today. I'm dialated 2cm, and although my cervix is still thick it's soft and no longer posterior. So he said that was good. I'm just freaked out. Idk what to expect. So any HELPFUL advice would be awesome. Any NEGATIVE comments, please don't bother replying.

ETA: Just wanted to say thanks for all your incite and support. I'm very nervous about it. So everything helps!
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
comptonkids
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:25 PM
do NOT let them put cervadil in... it is linked to so many horrible things

they will hopefully start with pitocin or breaking your water
livingrlovesong
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:28 PM
What is that? What bad things? That makes me even more nervous

Quoting comptonkids:

mommi128
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:30 PM

I was induced. The contractions are much stronger. I only have a horror story with my son being induced, but my  mom was induced and everything went well for her. I was in labor 36 hours, but not all of the hours were hard labor. Most of the beginning I was laughing with my family. The pitosin didn't work well for me they had me on the max and overdosed me making my skin pivot to the touch.  My body was fighting the contractions and I still wouldn't dilate. They finally gave me a muscle relaxer to put me to sleep and allow my body to dilate. I fell asleep on the muscle relaxer and it was the best sleep ever. I didn't like them coming in to wake me up to PUSH . My mom had none of this. It just depends on how your body is.

livingrlovesong
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:32 PM
Well I guess I should add, I had pitocin with my first but that was only because my water broke and many hours later I was still at a 2 and not dialating. And 16 hours later she was finally born

Quoting mommi128:

I was induced. The contractions are much stronger. I only have a horror story with my son being induced, but my  mom was induced and everything went well for her. I was in labor 36 hours, but not all of the hours were hard labor. Most of the beginning I was laughing with my family. The pitosin didn't work well for me they had me on the max and overdosed me making my skin pivot to the touch.  My body was fighting the contractions and I still wouldn't dilate. They finally gave me a muscle relaxer to put me to sleep and allow my body to dilate. I fell asleep on the muscle relaxer and it was the best sleep ever. I didn't like them coming in to wake me up to PUSH . My mom had none of this. It just depends on how your body is.

mommi128
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Then you should be fine. At least it worked well with your body! Best of luck and congrats!

comptonkids
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:43 PM
I'm sorry, not cervidil...cytotec...thats the dangerous one

I'll have to come back with more info

Quoting livingrlovesong:

What is that? What bad things? That makes me even more nervous

Quoting comptonkids:

stressedmama24
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:45 PM
You sound JUST like me. I just had my son two weeks ago today and I was induced with him. I went in July 7(my due date). I had already been contracting for two weeks but couldn't get passed 2cm and 50%effaced bc his head was so far down he was blocking me. The night I went in it was to get Cervidil. I couldn't even tell i had it in. The next morning at 9am I was still 2cm but 90%effaced( Cervidil only helps with effacement). They started Pitocin at 9am as well. At 10am I was 3cm and they broke my water. By noon my contractions were so painful I begged for my epidural. So at 12pm I was still 3cm. They checked me again at 12:15pm. I was 5cm. They checked again at 12:45pm and I was 10cm. I started pushing at 12:50pm and in 11 pushes he was born at 12:56pm. The reason my contractions were so intense was bc when they started the inducement my baby's head was already pushed against my pelvic bone.
stressedmama24
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:45 PM
You sound JUST like me. I just had my son two weeks ago today and I was induced with him. I went in July 7(my due date). I had already been contracting for two weeks but couldn't get passed 2cm and 50%effaced bc his head was so far down he was blocking me. The night I went in it was to get Cervidil. I couldn't even tell i had it in. The next morning at 9am I was still 2cm but 90%effaced( Cervidil only helps with effacement). They started Pitocin at 9am as well. At 10am I was 3cm and they broke my water. By noon my contractions were so painful I begged for my epidural. So at 12pm I was still 3cm. They checked me again at 12:15pm. I was 5cm. They checked again at 12:45pm and I was 10cm. I started pushing at 12:50pm and in 11 pushes he was born at 12:56pm. The reason my contractions were so intense was bc when they started the inducement my baby's head was already pushed against my pelvic bone.
comptonkids
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:53 PM
http://www.birthingnaturally.net/birthplan/intervention/induction/cytotec.html

http://blog.ctnews.com/elwood/2010/05/01/the-dangers-of-cytotec/

Brynn0000
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 8:00 PM
I was induced for blood pressure issues , and it was horrible I was in labor for 2 days , from 6 am April 1st , until 10:19 pm April 2end , they did my potocin in iv ,, and they didn't give me enough so my labor was long and slow,,,, I'm now prgo again and I pray do not have to be induced I had a horrible birth with my son ,, I hope you little one gets here soon hope you have a good delivery :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN