Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Induction question

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 9:26 PM
  • 10 Replies

Poll

Question: What induction method should I try first?

Options:

Nipple stimulation

Membrane sweep

Prostaglandin

Pitocin

Breaking waters

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 12

View Results

Hi ladies! I hope you can help me out. I'm pregnant with my first baby. Today is my due date and so far I'm 0cm dialated and 0% effaced. Starting next week (41 weeks) my OB will have me do NST every 3-4 days. At 42 weeks, my OB will encourage (insist?) that I get an induction. Ideally, I'd like a natural, medication-free birth. So while I'm hoping that baby comes on her own before then, I need to be informed about my options. I'm reading up on the methods but I'd like your opinions. What should I opt for and what should I avoid? Thank you!

by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HHx5
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 9:40 PM

I didn't vote because I'm not sure. Have you tried walking? I think ideally you should be dilating and effacing on your own before they do an induction. Nipple stimulation, I think (I'm no doc), is only recommended to start contractions, not necessarily to start dilation and effacing. What I read is that pressure, not contractions, will cause the dilation and effacing, thus the recommendation of walking, even stairs. Is the baby head down and head fixed against your cervix, not floating?

I have been induced with all five of my kids and I'm not sure if I will this time or not. I'd like to try to go on my own. The reason I chose induction for the previous deliveries was that I was already dilating and effacing on my own but the hospital was a good hour away and my then-DH worked unpredictable hours and we didn't have help close by. All my inductions went as planned, all went well. My first 3 were with pitocen, each around 8 hours. My 4th was much slower (overnight) and was with Cytotec (which I've been told now isn't safe) and pitocen. My 5th I thought was Cytotec but I'm not sure (lasted about 12 hrs) and I didn't need pitocen till the delivery of the placenta. I had an epidural with each.

I would think that your doc wouldn't let you go past 42 wks. 

kelly617
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I would try walking a lot...
And if you're not dilated they can't do a membrane sweep....You have to be at least 1cm, otherwise they can't get their finger in there to do it. So if you're not dilated at all thats out. Same goes for breaking your water...they can't do that until you're effaced and dilated at least somewhat

thetardis
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Today is my due date too. =) If I'm still pregnant in two weeks (after nipple stimulation, walking, sex, membrane sweep, etcetc) I'm going for breaking my water to see if that will start it up. I think pitocin is my next option, but I hate the idea of needing pitocin.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
Larsbug
by Laura on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:17 PM
1 mom liked this

walking, sex, nipple stimulation, are all the best "at home" methods but honestly baby will come when they are good and ready and please remember that today is your ESTIMATED due date. Good luck!!

eellison
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:36 PM

With my first I was induced two weeks early without being dilated or effaced.  There are meds that will get your cervix going and then they usually do pitocin.  I was also induced with my second.  The only down side of induction  with the use of pitocin is you go into hard labor a lot quicker.  I suppose it all depends on how anxious you are to hold your baby.  Just walk a lot to try and get your cervix going in the mean time.

Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Make sure your doctor knows up front if you aren't dilated to cancel trying to strip membranes. Everything I ever read said they won't do it if you aren't dilated, but with my second the OBGYN said I wasn't dilated... Then promptly stuck his finger hard into my cervix and stripped my membranes. It hurt. A LOT. I had no idea he was about to do it or would if I was not open at all. He just told me to try to relax and breathe once I started tensing up and wiggling away involuntarily. The only thing it managed to do was help me contract and dilate to a 3 and I still ended up with a pitocin induction 5 days later.

Quoting kelly617:

I would try walking a lot...
And if you're not dilated they can't do a membrane sweep....You have to be at least 1cm, otherwise they can't get their finger in there to do it. So if you're not dilated at all thats out. Same goes for breaking your water...they can't do that until you're effaced and dilated at least somewhat

smorgan865
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:00 PM

DO NOT attempt to break your own water. I'm not sure if that's what you meant by it in the poll, but that should only happen spontaneously or by a professional.

I was 0 cm and soft with my first and only 2 days of pitocin got me going enough for them to break my water.

With my 2nd I was 4 cm 85% and head was +1 before I was able to get labor going. I drank Red Raspberry leaf teal, bounced a ball, had spicy curry for lunch, DTD with DH, walked, and had Pizza Hut (gross, yes) for dinner. Honestly I think it was the Pizza Hut that did it, LOL. 

I hate lots of fresh pineapple, that may or may not have helped with my softening/dilation. DTD with Dh and that gave me a false alarm. I contraced all night only to have them stop in the hospital shortly after I got there.

Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:04 PM
None, I don't believe in induction and know natural ways will only happen if you ate ready. So it is not what you did but baby said I am ready. Find things to relax yourself and not stress about it. Walking is great for you and helps in labor. With my third I walked 30-60 mins every night for five weeks. She was my first to come over her estimated due date. Get manicures or pedicures. Sex the seven helps soften the cervix. Birthing ball - figure eights, circles, front and back, side to side, can help with positioning baby.
Devious103102
by Ruby Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:22 PM

I guess the safest to try might be nipple stimulation and membrane stripping after that. I'm glad they're at least waiting till 42wks before they intervene. 

ACsLady
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Nipple stimulation and acupressure are very effective if your body and baby are ready.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)